Thursday, August 29, 2024

Apathy Magic?

     I don't quite get it, but after yesterday's post titled "I Don't Care," somehow the promised thunderstorms never made it here.

     The only possible comment is, "Whatever."

     Elsewhere, the campaign season's various tempests rage, in venues ranging from teapots to Bobby Lee's wife's old family home,* replete with everything misidentified dogs to chainsawed whales and a guy who apparently doesn't know that for much of the history of public education, spinsters were preferred as schoolteachers and marriage was often the end of a woman's teaching career (after all, the thinking went, she'll have her own family to look after now).†  And that last is the "traditional values" guy, not the sort of progressive who might be expected to miss such large-print historical footnotes.

     It ain't over yet and you can expect more of the same -- much, much more, with plenty of mud and strangeness for everyone.  I'm still backing the team that promises to not burn it all down.  That's a preposterously low bar, but here we are, in another election with a very wide swath of voters working out who they dislike least.
_______________________
* The history of what is now Arlington National Cemetery is very nearly a capsule history of the United States, from cold, hard fact to myth-making that is variously rosy, horrific and vengeful.
 
† The writing-critique group I chair often takes me to task for sentences so long that Faulkner and Henry James would look askance at them.  I'm certainly glad neither of them -- and my crit-group peers -- are here to read this one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A well-crafted albeit lengthy sentence is a work of art. Please carry on.

Mike V said...

“ The writing-critique group I chair often takes me to task for sentences so long that Faulkner and Henry James would look askance at them. I'm certainly glad neither of them -- and my crit-group peers -- are here to read this one.”

I get it. My English Comp teacher gave me the same feed back - to the point that she told me if I were going to use punctuation to break the phrases in a sentence to pane it a period at start a new sentence.

Robert said...

Look at the lengthy sentence as an opportunity for the reader to exercise a post-covid brain parsing said sentence. Preferably after morning coffee.

Cop Car said...

My standard for length of sentence is the first sentence Poe wrote in "The Fall of the House of Usher."

Eck! said...

A long sentence is a timeline of ones thinking. Its a complete idea or image presented.

Eck!