Saturday, August 17, 2024

How Did I Do It?

     Some years back, before the pandemic, I decide to learn to touch-type.  I found an online tutorial, followed it, and, lo -- I learned to touch-type.

     It's a good idea to run through such a course occasionally, and this one was exceptionally good, moving the student along at a fast pace and helping the feel of the keys stick in memory.  It's easy to develop bad habits in everyday typing and running through the exercises helps correct that.

     I could swear that I blogged about the course and linked to the website.  But I can't find it.  Somehow, if I did so at all, I wrote about it without using the term "touch type," or the words "keyboard," "course,"  "tutorial" or "class."

     Back to square one, I suppose.

     Update: found it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forty years ago I grumbled about having to take a touch typing class. It ended up being the only useful thing I learned in high school.
Come to think of it, a refresher might not be a bad idea.

Cop Car said...

"Touch typing" is all but impossible with current keyboards that have no "feel". I even tried ergonomic keyboards, but none came close to the useful feel of the layout that was used on the Smith-Corona on which I learned (Dad put electrical tape over the keys so that we could not read them) in about 1950-1951. I don't know what to say about finding your previous posting. Surely, you did not misspell all of those key words - lol.

grich said...

In high school, I didn't take typing, but my homeroom was a typing classroom. Every day I would spend 15 minutes staring at the rows of Olympia electric typewriters. My first full-time job was a small-market radio station...40 percent engineer, 60 percent newsroom and on-air. All of the typewriters were ancient manuals that had likely never been serviced. I developed a somewhat fast two-finger pounding technique.

Anonymous said...

test

Gewehr98 said...

I wonder how many of us who learned touch typing through manual typewriter typing class in school are still floating around? I know the Gen Z and Millenials around me look in bewilderment as I hold a face-to-face conversation with them while typing away on a computer task...