Sunday, August 25, 2024

A Sure Sign

     Summer must be starting to wind down, because I have made refrigerator pickles!

     I'd bought a couple of cucumbers to slice and add to a salad-in-a-bag, and used only half of one.  That left a nice big stack of cucumber slices that I didn't want to waste.

     I made the brine "by ear," which is my usual approach, and I always make it too strong.  I started with white vinegar,  balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt, onion powder (didn't have fresh onions) and salt, enouh to cover and float the slices.  That sat in the fridge overnight.  After a taste-check the next morning, I cut the brine 50/50 with bottled water and added more sugar and a little balsamic vinegar.  By yesterday evening, the pickles had taken on color and flavor.  This morning, I cut the brine with water again and added a dash of sugar: they're ready!  Still cucumber-y, with sweetness, sour and a little spice.

No comments: