Thursday, November 16, 2017

Structural Failure, A Success Otherwise

     This morning's omelette was a disaster, if you measure success as turning out a perfect golden half-moon of egg mixture around a savory filling.  The blamed thing stuck and shredded when I folded it, then fell apart when I tried to flip it over a few minutes later.  There were Words.

     Taste without looking and it's a triumph: the eggs were beaten with smashed up Lavosh Seed Overload flatbread mixed with water; the filling is applewood-smoked bacon and sliced fresh mushrooms that I cooked in truffle butter.  It's gooooood!  Appearance bedamned.

8 comments:

Drang said...

Had a job as a short order cook lo! These decades ago. Trouble was, the restaurant specialized in egg dishes, and I couldn't flip an omelet worth a damn, so I went back to bus boy.

These days I just do frittatas (fritattas? spell check doesn't know where the extra "t" goes), same deal, but easier for the uncoordinated...

Countglockula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Countglockula said...

The hierarchy of Eggs (with apologies to Maslow):
Souffle
Omelette
Frittata
Scramble
Goo on the floor

Raz

(Gross misspellage forced deletion of previous comment effortry)

Roberta X said...

I have a pretty good record for flipping omelettes -- but I was worried there was too much water in this one from the outset. I was right.

Rob K said...

Have you seen Julia Child's French Chef omelet episode? Absolutely worth watching. I think she makes more omelets in it than it is minutes long.

Anonymous said...

I just go with a scramble. That way I'm never disappointed. Saute onions and bell pepper usually. Something to increase the protein factor (Usually the chicken or steak from last night, but bacon and ham are sometimes available) Sometimes other stuff - depending on what's on hand. But I gave up on omelettes long ago. Too much fussy work for a time in the day when I'm still drinking my first cup of coffee.

rickn8or said...

I wouldn't get too wrapped up about this; I understand Stevie Ray Vaughan missed a note here and there, but is still considered to be a fair-to-middlin' guitar picker.

JayNola said...

You can't be blamed if your intended omelette identified as a scramble.