Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Salmon Patties

      It's Depression cooking: canned salmon, a quarter-cup mashed-up saltines or a slice of stale bread, an egg or two,  If you have fresh onion or celery, chop some up and add it.  A little fresh bell (or whatever) pepper is good, too.  In a pinch, any of the vegetables can be replaced with the spice-rack version: onion powder, celery flakes or even seed, paprika.  Mix well, form into patties and fry in a little oil or bacon fat, and there's your main dish.  It's tasty and filling.

     We had salmon patties from time to time when I was growing up, possibly for the same reason I have them now: to rotate the stock.  Canned salmon will keep for three or four years, while crackers or bread and eggs are pretty much staples.  So it's a dinner you can always have the supplies for on hand, and not especially costly.  Amazon/Whole Foods house brand pink salmon is about $4.50 for a 14.75 ounce can as of this morning.  You can buy fancier salmon -- the red sockeye is supposed to be especially good -- but the pink is just fine for salmon patties.

     There were some canned goods and fresh mushrooms to use up, too, so we had sliced mushrooms, sauteed and then heated up with a small can of peas and a large can of sweet corn, seasoned with tarragon* and Italian blend herbs, a combination that was remarkably better than expected.
_____________________
* I hadn't used tarragon in years.  Picked up a bottle of the dried herb on impulse and I'm trying it here and there -- a nice mild heat and interesting flavor.

5 comments:

mostly cajun said...

Haute cuisine, there!

My recipe looks like yours.

I've eaten them all my life. Mom or Dad used to pop them out on the odd occasion and to a kid whose table fare was broadly Cajun, salmon patties bordered on the exotic.

Anonymous said...

Salmon Croquettes - Yum ! Mom's recipe was very similar but not as many ingredients to expedite preparation. I loved them in sandwich bread, a slice of cheese and tomato. Two sandwiches and a side of ridged potato chips was a meal for me. Was very common on Meatless Friday nights during Lent (Catholic household) so this and tuna was very common.

My Wife and Daughter like to experiment with flavors, so I'm gonna print yours for ideas. Thank you for posting the recipe.

John Peddie (Toronto) said...

You can also stir in some mashed potatoes, to make it stretch farther, but not too much or you'll lose the salmon taste.

Anonymous said...

My canned salmon is probably 10 years old at this point, probably wise to just toss it....

Joe said...

I love salmon patties with fried potatoes.

The wife not so much.

I substitute Ritz or Town House for the saltines for a richer flavor.