Monday, July 24, 2023

Oh, Monday

     Spending all of last week at the main campus of my employer, surrounded by all my co-workers, reminded me how little I enjoy the close proximity of my fellow humans.

     My co-workers are, in the main, a skilled and talented group of people.  Most of them mean well and they're bright and well-informed.  But there are so very many of them, and so much going on, that it's like standing next to Niagara Falls and trying not to get soaked.  The thunder and rumble is overwhelming.  After awhile, I can barely hear myself think.  In this heat, in the middle of well-paved downtown Indianapolis, there's no going for a walk at lunch to get away from it, either.

     The flip side is that it pays far better than a person of my age and documentable education could hope for.  I smile and try to keep up, thinking of the wonder and delight of payday.

     Saddle up the old plow horse and hand me that broom handle.  There's a batch of windmills on the horizon and you know what?  They might be giants.

4 comments:

Mike V said...

“ I smile and try to keep up, thinking of the wonder and delight of payday.”

Every payday is a fortune and every meal is a banquet.

I never thought I’d live to draw Social Security, and here I am. It is kind of unsettling.

Anonymous said...

I have often wondered if you get any feedback from your co-workers who read your blog. ;-)

Roberta X said...

Never have. I'm a solitary person and a very small cog in a large machine; I'd be surprised if any of them even read my blog, or would think it worthy of comment if they did. I do not socialize with my co-workers and skip any optional gatherings -- and as many of the mandatory ones as I can justify.

As I wrote, they are on the whole talented and well-educated. Few if any are deliberately mean but most of them are extroverted by nature or necessity, and it affects me like fingernails on a blackboard.

I had a few friends on the staff at one time. They have all resigned or died.

Robert said...

This reminds me why I preferred working in field service. By myself.
In any gathering of like-minded technicians, everyone was always infused with social lubricant, i.e. alcohol. Coping strategy, y'know.