Saturday, January 06, 2024

"It Was A Hot And Spicy Spam...."

     No, not exotic and unwanted email; it was Hot & Spicy SPAM®.  I had a can of it and I've been wanting to try it.  I diced (quarter-inch cubes) a large Idaho baking potato* and started it cooking, then diced and fried the meat product.  Once they were well-browned, I followed up by pushing the mixture to the sides of the pan and scrambling four eggs in the center before mixing it all together and adding some dried parsley and marjoram.

     I served it with a generous sprinkling of grated, aged Cotija cheese, a Mexican cheese that's a little akin to a mild Parmesan (better, if you ask me) or feta and the result made an excellent brunch.  The SPAM® variety is hot enough that I wouldn't want to eat it plain, but not so hot that the potatoes, eggs and cheese couldn't tame it.  Some mild peppers would have gone very well in the mix.  Mind the salt -- if you are trying to cut down, use more potato.
__________________
* Yes, I am a barbarian.  But they're perfectly good general-purpose potatoes.

No comments: