Thursday, April 25, 2024

Skipped A Day

     While working on the dryer, with frequent trips up and down the basement stairs, I fell.  Tam and I are convinced one step is slightly off, because it's easy to trip about two-thirds of the way up those stairs.

     Whatever the reason, I took a worse fall than usual, going up the stairs.  Caught my right foot and fell forward, with plenty of time to get my hands up -- but I banged my left shin against the thick step, good and hard.  They are open steps, without risers.  I slammed my shin squarely into the two-inch-thick step and it was extremely painful.

     But I have fallen there before.  You pick yourself up and keep going, right?  So I did.

     I didn't sleep well the night before last.  Couldn't get comfortable.  Kept waking up.  It was my shin.  Yesterday morning, I soaked in hot water with Epsom Salts and got dressed, wincing at the pressure of my knee-high sock on the bruise, gathered together everything for the day -- and realized I'd run out of steam.  Just nothing left.  I was maxed out on OTC pain meds by that point.  I ended up calling in sick and feeling like a whiny nitwit about it, but I was wiped out.  I rested most of the day and managed a quick trip to the grocery that evening.  I made supper with big plans for after, but fell asleep in front of the TV instead.

     My shin is just as painful today and the bruising is most visible well below the impact site, with colorful markings along the inside of my foot around the ankle and heel.   I think I'd better go get a professional opinion -- it's probably nothing, but I'm not getting any younger.  Or, apparently, any more graceful.

1 comment:

Mike V said...

Getting a pro's opinion is never a waste of time. Odds are it's just a bad bruise, but it's nice to have it confirmed.