Thursday, October 10, 2024

Cornbread Omelet

      The omelets I make probably don't fit everyone's definition.  I reinforce the egg with some cooked starch and water -- often breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs, or even cornmeal.  Frustrated by omelets that break when you fold them?  Try adding some strength.  (I'd love to tell you how much, but it varies.  Start with three or four saltines for a three-egg omelet in a 10" pan.  Mash 'em up and add enough water to form a paste, then beat or stir in the eggs. The gentler you are, the less air in the finished product, and this is a matter of personal preference.)

     Last night, I heated up "leftover stew" using the tri-tip pot roast from Sunday, and made microwave cornbread to go along with it, a box mix jazzed up with an extra egg, a little more milk, some arepa meal and a little pepper and chili powder on top.  It was good; a little denser than I would have liked, even after five minute's rest, but a tasty side to mop up the stew broth.

     This morning, there was cornbread left, so I crumbled a wedge of it into a small mixing bowl, added water and seasoning ("Italian blend" and Bragg's mix), let it set a spell and beat three medium eggs into it.  I'd fried a strip of bacon with the batter was waiting, and snipped it, some Fontina cheese and black olives as filling.  The end result was as good as any omelet I've made.  It ends up fairly thick, with an airy texture, and the cornbread notes blend nicely with the egg. 

No comments: