Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hooray! Ker-Pow!

This morning over oatmeal, Tam offers, "Blackwater has spoiled me for (local range). I'm going to shoot more and it'll be on the move -- IDPA, falling plates, something not just punching holes in paper."

This could not be better news for me; in the last year, I've shot less than I have in years. I've been wanting to join a local Fish'n'Game club that has a nice range and hold matches and competitions but my extreme diffidence around strangers has proven a barrier. (And it's been just darn painful working weekends while Tam's out shootin' with her friends). So I'm hopin' to maybe tag along from time to time. We'll see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if there's any near you, but a tremendously fun and practical sport is bowling pin shooting. There isn't a big rulebook to memorize, the course of fire is easy to understand even to my feeble brain, and the participants aren't the usual nylon-clad tactical munchkins (not that there's anything wrong with that). And since you need momentum to knock those pins off the table, it's a game ruled by .45s and big bore wheelyguns.

Anonymous said...

My range time is pitifully meager. But I don't care much for indoor ranges. Actually, I often don't like organized outdoor ranges either, specifically because paper gets boring. I like to shoot reactive targets -- plates, gongs, fruit, etc. And it's harder and harder to find places to do that, without driving a long ways. Never played with moving targets (except for trap and clays), but I'd love to come up with an easily transportable gizmo for effecting such, to use when I can get out on the public lands where I wind up going.

One of my favorite things to do is to see how long/far I can keep a tuna or bean can going with my .22 pistol.

red said...

I can relate! We've only been out shooting 3 times this year. I've heard that Eagle Creek is going to build a rifle range. But it doesn't really matter because if you aren't a LEO, it costs 200 hens teeth to get it.