Thursday, January 12, 2012

An Apology To My Readers: I've Been Sick

Today was the first morning I haven't had something up by 0815 in...I think, maybe, ever.

Didn't do much yesterday -- I'm on vacation for all but one day this week; I'd worked that the day before yesterday, good healthy physical work, so what the heck, I took a day of sloth. In the evening, my tummy felt a little funny but I chalked that up to having a very light snack instead of dinner.

Went to bed mumblety-late and woke up an hour later, feeling nauseous and overheated. Waited for it to pass, kind of going in and out of wakefulness. You know the feeling, if I woke all the way up, I'd have to deal with this, so I won't.

It worked for another hour and a half, too. I finally got up, still doubting, and found myself sitting on the floor of the loo, yelling into a wastebasket for Ralph while perspiring copiously. Oh, and...talking. When I get a high enough fever, I just start blabbering whatever comes into my head, mostly, "Oh, no!" and random, semi-amusing phrases. I was aching all over.

All of this commotion roused Tam, who asked what she could do. I think I told her to stay back of the firing line.

Ralph having not responded, I stood up, took a sip of water, chewed an antacid and stumbled back to bed, realizing I had a very poor grasp of vertical. By then I was freezing; I wrapped up in blankets and shambled off to a confused state, neither asleep nor awake.

This kept happening, five or six times, an hour or a little more apart, sounding and feeling a little worse each time. At one point, my back hurt so badly that I wrapped up in a quilt on my very firm window seat. Sometime along about 0800, I dropped off to sleep, not very deep but better, and slept until just a few minutes ago.

I have had nothing to eat for well over 12 hours and you know what? I don't much want anything, either. Still a little dizzy but I hope I'm on the mend.

Whatever I had, you don't want. I hope Tam dodges it. (OTOH, maybe it's the full-on version of whatever she's been suffering.)

19 comments:

Wayne Conrad said...

That's a heck of a way to spend vacation, X. I hope it ends as quickly as it came.

North said...

I hope you feel better. Much better, much soon.

Dave H said...

Do get better quickly young lady, but don't worry about us. We'll be ready for more wit and wisdom whenever you are.

Peter said...

Wing and I both had a mild version of the same bug last week. It ain't no fun at all!

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you and Tam, that you both get rid of it quickly.

Bob said...

Norovirus, probably. It's more common in the cold months than the warm months, I've noticed.

Hope you are feeling better soon. It's not a fun illness to have. Not that any illness is, of course.

og said...

There is no one sane who can consider it a good time to spend talking to Wamba on the big white phone. Hope you're best soonest.

Anonymous said...

Ouch. I went through this just after New Years Eve, save that Ralph was not a stranger.

Plenty of Gatorade, or some other electrolyte replacement beverage is your friend in these circumstances.

Best wishes,
Amiable Dorsai

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

I just saw my doctor today and he said he's back to work after several days suffering from stomach flu.

Sounds like what you had, except he didn't do as much shouting for Ralph.

Comrade Misfit said...

Take it easy and get well.

The Jack said...

My sympathies. To a speedy recovery and ridding the cottage of that loafer Ralph.

Tango Juliet said...

Winter and the flu, such a wonderful combination.

Get well soon!

Turk Turon said...

Have some chicken soup.
I hope you feel better soon.

Drang said...

No need to apologize, even if we hadn't both suffered from... something...in the last week or so.

As long as the ice cream is free, only a self-centered child would demand it on schedule, and not many progressives hang out here...

Frank W. James said...

Hope you get to feeling better soon. At least your discomfort was involuntary. Yesterday, mine wasn't, but then it wasn't as severe, either.

Get well soonest...

All The Best,
Frank W. James

Carteach said...

Get better my friend

BGMiller said...

Forget apologizing to us.
You owe us nothing.

Just put up a screen that says' "I Aten't Dead." Then go get yourself healthy.

BGM

Jeffro said...

You take care of yourself, ya hear??? The free ice cream here can wait, dammit.

Bubblehead Les. said...

One Silver Lining: Don't sweat it. The Weather outside stinks, and you'd probably be indoors anyway. Get well soon.

Larry said...

Hope you feel better soon. Being sick is no way to spend a vacation.