Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"Oh, Look, She Relented"

You had twelve hours without free ice cream; if you haven't looked up SOPA and PIPA, made up your own mind and taken whatever action you thought was indicated, then there's no way I'm going to reach you anyway.

I know some big bloggers kind of passed the whole thing with a wave and a nod -- generally folks deriving some revenue and/or personally significant egoboo from blogging, neither of which I begrudge them. Me, I can't do much all by myself, sign a petition and send notes to my horrors-in-office, so I opted to try co-opting you. If it multiplied my effort by any number greater than 1, it did what I hoped it might do.

Liberty: historical fluke or the wave of the future? I dunno. I don't want to spend my retirement in a prison camp and it's too darned much work avoiding 'em if you wait 'til it's too late.

5 comments:

Tam said...

A.)

MSgt B said...

"Personally significant egoboo" here.

Stranger said...

I did not shut down - I just spent a morning and part of an afternoon on the telephone to Senators and Representatives office staff.

Thanks to Skype, it cost very little. I hope it was worth every penny.

Stranger

Larry said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the blackout was supposed to be from 8A to 8P, and seeing that this was put up at 8:44 PM puts it outside that range. So, relented? Not so much.
It looks like SOPA has been shelved indefinitely, but PIPA is still in the works.

Roberta X said...

I had figured on shutting down for 24 hours.