Thursday, February 12, 2015

Oh, I Hate When That Happens...

     Went to sleep last night -- plenty early, too; whatever had me dizzy the other day hasn't relented much -- with a great idea for a blog post.  Sure wish I could remember what it was.  I hate it when that happens.

     My right knee started acting up yesterday afternoon, almost too painful to bear weight.  That's probably from the up-and-down temperature and barometric pressure of the last several days.  Headaches and possibly even dizziness likewise.  I hate it when that happens.

     Why is it that Brian Williams lying and getting caught out is so totally unexpected -- and why has no one anywhere in the Big Media (and most of the small fry) mentioned Dan Rather's pants-on-fire fall from grace?*  The media have the memory of mayflies.  "Dan who?"  I hate it when that happens.

     And, lookie!  Europe -- well, Eastern Europe -- is closer to war than ever!  I hate it when that happens.  Not as much as Germany's Chancellor does, though; she has apparently sat down with maps and worked out that if you displace the epicenter eastward, today's Germany is in about the same spot as 1940's France.  Ooopsie.  A fresh World War for a fresh century?  I'd hate it if that happened.
______________________________________
* "No one likes to see a run like this end on such a bad note,' says NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams. 'But somewhere in Pennsylvania a father of four with 19 years under his belt came home after getting his notice at the factory today, and he would give anything for one week of Dan's compensation. Dan would be the first to counsel massive amounts of perspective on this story.'" Peter Johnson, Media Mix,  USA Today, 20 June 2006

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ms. Robbi,
I had a long comment on world affairs all typed out, found it too depressing, and deleted it.
I would like (1) to remind you that all your posts are good ideas, an (2) thank you for sharing your thoughts and interests with us.
Hope to hear that you're feeling better soon,

Ed.

Anonymous said...

Look at the Bright Side(TM).

This time it can be a New Improved World War, Now with Nuclear Weapons!

Dave in Indiana said...

"The media have the memory of mayflies."

Journalistic integrity is a myth purported by compulsive liars that choose journalism as a career.

LCB said...

Just a nit...war has already broken out. Been going on for, what? Over a year? Spreading from the Ukraine is what we're worried about now.

rickn8or said...

"... with a great idea for a blog post. Sure wish I could remember what it was."

I'd suggest keeping a notepad on the nightstand, but every time I've jotted down an idea at night, the next morning it appears I've invented a new form of undecipherable shorthand.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

What was it Tam said? "Euros have a proven zero-to-jackboots time lower than just about anybody on the planet."

Anonymous said...

Personally I don't think we are close to WWIII. I think Archduke Ferdinand has been assassinated, and no one has noticed.

Putin will agree to anything. He stated that Russia had no territorial designs on Ukraine 2 weeks before they invaded and annexed the Crimean peninsula. A bold-faced lie if ever there was one. Why should we believe his next statement of peace?

In the meantime, politicians on this side of the pond are trying to give the 21st Century "Peace in our Time" speech without stepping in it quite that badly.

This doesn't even consider the fact that the Mideast is on fire.

Ken said...

The crickets surrounding Gunga Dan are deliberate; they're waiting for the Bruce Greenwood movie to put him On the Comeback Trail(tm).

Anonymous said...

Bobbi, I empathize re the temp-&-barometric-pressure thing. Hope it gets better. I'm sure by about April it might (then again, you're up north; May, perhaps?).
I've a steel plate from hip to knee, & the attendant fasteners. I cannot figure out how that makes cold feel worse, considering that it's all insulated by a couple of inches of meat, but it somehow does.
On the plus side, I can predict coming atmospheric conditions better than the local radio weather folks.
--Tennessee Budd