Thursday, February 19, 2015

Three Below

     I don't want to whine, but--

     Make it stop!  Pleeeeeeeeze, make it STOP!

     And I'm not talking molecular motion, either.  Wind chill numbers for this morning start in the -20s and they don't go up from there.  Traffic lights are acting up all over town (the city didn't use a light enough grade of oil in them?) and they haven't yet decided if they will delay trash pickup for the rest of the week or or just cancel it altogether.

     It's four below, fondly Fahrenheit, and Spring is only four weeks away.

8 comments:

greg said...

If it makes you feel any better, this last weekend I planted kale, carrot, turnips and radish seed.

Roberta X said...

In how much ice?

Ruth said...

I started seeds inside last week. Our outdoor temps are a match for yours. And I'm very very very sick of it.....

TWForeman said...

-4F? Heh. It's been -8F here the past two mornings. The highest temp I saw yesterday was 0.

jdunmyer said...

The older I get, the more I realize just WHY old folks go to Florida for the Winter. It really isn't a joke.

Bruce H. said...

>> ... I realize just WHY old folks go to Florida ...

Yeah, I had that realization about 10 years ago, when I was only 50. And the winters in Boulder are pretty mild compared to some places I've lived.

Sometimes I think of becoming a snowbird, New Mexico in the winter and Montana in the summer.

But I'm still here for now.

Joseph said...

The geeky way to look at the temperature: -4 F is 0xFD K.

markm said...

Are electromechanical stoplight controllers still in use? I'd have expected them to be replaced by PLCs long ago. You'll have trouble with those in extreme temperatures if you pick the wrong model, but I'd have expected the American stoplight industry to have converged on ones that will work outdoors from North Dakota to Phoenix. I've lived over 300 miles north of you, and never saw the stoplights fail in the cold - did someone think Indy is in the south?