Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Idle Debate Thoughts

     I watched some of the Presidential debate the other night.  I wasn't impressed; both candidates were their usual selves, only more so, and as near as I can tell, fans and foes of one or the other found their opinions unchanged afterward.

     There have been a shortage of imaginative nicknames for Ms. Clinton; you can find plenty of directly-insulting tags for either candidate, but only Mr. Trump has proven colorful enough to pick up monikers like "Cheeto Jesus."  So I was amused to realize, after watching for several minutes, that Ms. Clinton was indeed The Woman In The Iron Hair.  That stuff remained as immovable as a casting!  Between her Max Headroomesque 'do, Mr. Trump's interesting hair arrangement and Lester Holt's understatedly-sleek looks, a stranger watching without audio might be excused for wondering if this wasn't a pair of hairstyling victims defending their choices before an expert.

     Alas, no.  This match was for Leader Of The Free World and listening with the sound on was depressing.  I am slightly comforted by the thought there'll be a do-over in four years, and by the generally mediocre-to-bad performance of the genuinely bright in the Presidency.  Then I remember how much both of them remind me of Andrew Jackson and I start fretting again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...


"I am slightly comforted by the thought there'll be a do-over in four years,..."

Hrrrumph. That assumes there is anything left to "do over' in four.

Anyways...

The impact on SCOTUS and the federal courts is for DECADES, not a handful of years. You and I are of similar vintage. The results directly impact the remainder of our lives...

Anonymous said...

"...anything left to 'do over' in four..." I hear this kind of bumfodder and wonder why anyone who seriously believes it isn't voting from the rooftops already. Is it simple cowardice, or do they know they're talking nonsense but enjoy striking a pose?