Sunday, January 29, 2017

Don't Want To Tempt The Fates

     ...Proclaimng, "I'm all better!" would surely draw the shared and implacable gaze of the Three Sisters my way, and I don't want that.  And my sinuses are still uncooperative, my throat ticklish* and muscles aching.  Nevertheless, I woke up actually hungry (I've been making myself eat -- managed two small meals a day and light snacks of tea or 7-Up and crackers) and the sneezing seems to have slowed.  Spent the first part of last night waking up to cough every hour or two, then finally found the door to dreamland and stumbled through and down, down into the warm and welcoming, oblivious dark.  I needed it badly; my sleep was so disrupted the last two days that I was flickering over into a dream state and back out, waking up with memories draining away like ink spilled in water, dissipating, unreachable, leaving strange scraps of mood and reaction.

     This being-sick stuff is too much work for anyone as lazy as me!
____________________________
* Though mistaking a small can of Tamara's Spicy Hot V-8 for my own plain stuff is bidding fair to beat my throat into submission, or at least force a relining.  My, oh my, the "leaded" version certainly carries an edge -- like a street kid with a straight razor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The 'Three Sisters'???

Roberta X said...

One ought not refer to them too directly, but this one is on you. ;) The Norns, the Moirai, the Parcae, the Fates, who are either sisters or grandmother, mother and maiden, depending on your choice of mythology.

The latter echoes loudly in the Discworld stories about the witches.

Rick T said...

All honor to the Maiden, the Mother, and the Crone. Three ladies to never, ever get angry at you.

..."memories draining away like ink spilled in water, dissipating, unreachable, leaving strange scraps of mood and reaction" is quite beautiful, well done.