Saturday, April 29, 2017

Computer Woes Again

     I'm back to "camping in the back yard" with my Surface Pro again.

     My "new" (refurbished) desktop Windows 10 computer is acting up, reporting "low memory" with only one app running, slow, crashing Firefox and the new Microsoft browser, etc.  So it's hosed in some way, maybe just cheap RAM, maybe it needs reseated.  I'm finding out.

     --Make that, "I thought I was finding out." Letting Windows check itself via Microsoft's suggested procedures is like shouting down a well: you don't get much back.  Resource Monitor sees rather a lot of "hard faults/sec," which points back to some kind of hardware unhappiness.  Huck, fetch me a screwdriver!

5 comments:

John in Philly said...

You young people and your electrons, I knew I never should have turned away from my coal burning steam powered Babbage Analytical Engine.
On the other hand, depending on where your electricity comes from, your computer might be running on coal.
As an old mechanic, I am fairly adept at computer hardware repair, but software not so much.

Anonymous said...

Your cat fetches tools?

Crap, if I did that, mine would have looked at me like "You want what? *snort*"...

c-90 said...

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

D/l and burn on a good computer, and use the utilities to check stuff like your ram, and mobo.

Free.

C-90

Anonymous said...

There may be pirate software on that 'ultimatebootcd'...

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

A hard fault is actually normal and doesn't indicate hardware issues.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/in-windows-7-what-is-a-memory-hard-fault/1edd5a23-757e-e011-9b4b-68b599b31bf5