Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Unexpected Blocks

     There they were at our neighborhood grocery, looking like some Warsaw Pact version of the famous (and very trademarked) plastic building bricks:
   
     Thing is, the grocer's in my neighborhood doesn't have a toy section....
     Yes, it says "Candy Blox," and they were right next to the big jars of "penny" candy.  I checked: they do interlock, weakly, and they taste okay, too -- sugar, citric acid, just like the label claims; maybe some fruit flavor.  Just the thing if you're topping a cake for someone in the grip of  Legomania™ -- although it may give Junior Structural Engineers some unrealistic expectations.

     (There's a storm coming through and the power went out -- and stayed out for five minutes! -- right as I went to add photos.  Oh, First World Problems.)

5 comments:

fillyjonk said...

My local small grocery has those, but they're all officially packaged up in little boxes from the company that makes them.


I'm guessing they're something like Swee-Tarts, just differently shaped. (The company can call me when it starts making good chocolates shaped like LEGO.)

Anonymous said...

Does anyone else think that these things might give Junior the wrong idea about what and what not to put in his mouth? I forsee lawsuits.

Old NFO said...

Anon DOES raise a good point... sigh

SJ said...

I don't recall ever seeing such edible blocks when I was of-age to play with the non-edible kind...

But I suspect that the non-edible kind are typically provided to children who are old enough to figure out the difference. Even if the figuring-out involves a taste-test.

mmoss@xyz.com said...

What, no Hansel and Gretel jokes?