Wednesday, April 06, 2022

1930s All Over Again

      It gets to be too much.  It feels like I'm living in the 1930s, a Doc Savage story or something, only without the Man of Bronze, without the radio dramas or pulp magazines, no soda fountains or amazing technical advances in radio, none of the good stuff.  Just the quack medicine and worrying disease outbreaks, just the economic uncertainty, cynical political demagogues, bloody-handed dictators and a horrifying civic hunger for authoritarianism.

      Some days, it's all I can do to cope with it.  It feels as if the world is going crazy.

      (In the original posting, I left out the thing we've got now they didn't have in the 1930s: the threat of thermonuclear war!  Yes, we don't have dirigibles any more, but we've got the nukes.  Ain't progress wonderful?)

4 comments:

fillyjonk said...

Right here with you. I never expected my adult life would be like this.

I'd say "I would like a refund or full exchange" but I'd be afraid of getting something *worse* in exchange.

Mike V said...

Having grown up in the 60s with riots and Vietnam, I've thought that several times over the years. I was naive enough to think the worst was behind us when the Berlin Wall fell. Now we're looking at the threat of a resurgent Russia using nukes in Ukraine.

I hope cooler heads prevail and we don't find out that raw force is allowed to succeed.

SlowWalker said...

I'm impressed you know about Doc Savage, Man of Bronze!

:)

Roberta X said...

SlowWalker, I have been reading Doc Savage books since Junior High and I have been a fan of Lester Dent (who invented the character and wrote most of the stories, under the house byline "Kenneth Robeson") for as long as I have been writing. It's not Great Literature, but it's entertaining, competent writing that moves right along. And Doc has some depth to his character, especially compared to the the comic book, er, graphic novel superheroes who supplanted him.