Sunday, February 18, 2024

TMI

     In the course of looking up information about a piece of popular music, I followed one link to another to an article about the daughter of a couple of motion-picture actors, which included information about their personal lives that had long seemed likely -- and I found I didn't care.  They were married a long time, did a lot of charity work and were generally well-regarded both within their profession and by the wider world.

     Lurid details aside, they were kind to children and animals, apparently did not cheat on their taxes more than anyone else, raised several kids who managed, at least, to stay out of the headlines: why should I pry?  Both of them are dead now, anyway.

     Our appetite for gossip has increased along with the growth of the Internet, and our general urge to get ourselves good and irked runs all the way across the political and social spectrum.  Other than a boost in blood pressure and heart rate, what's the use of it?  I'm saving my outrage for genuine criminality and conspicuous rudeness.  I don't care if you're a holy roller or a flaming libertine, as long as you don't drive drunk and refrain from praying over people who don't want to be prayed over.

     We spend too much time poking at other people's sore spots, and then being offended when they complain.  How about cultivating the ability to let the other weirdos just be weird, and expecting them to do the same for you?  And trust me, if you're a human being, you're weird.  You might not see it, but somebody does.  It's better for everyone if they're not out to outlaw your weirdness, or warming up the tar and gathering feathers, and for you to refrain likewise.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly correct again.

Joe in PNG said...

I've noticed a new trend on Zuckbook, especially in the pop culture realm- Rage Clickbait. These are pages that post things guaranteed to make people mad enough to click & post an angry comment.
It's a fine addition to the now classic "Look at This Idiot from the Side You Don't Like!", because obviously if one of them is dumb, all of them is dumb- and I must be smart!

Tam said...

Joe in PNG,

Rage Farming is big business on social media of all types, alas.

Anonymous said...

Weirdos being weird: On a positive note, I’ve found that I can be biking on a dirt road in my weird bike nerd attire, meet a hunter in their weird full camo ensemble, and we can find common ground talking about what we both enjoy about being outdoors.

The world is full of weird things and people that do no harm. I try to be one of them. ;-)

Joe Allen said...

As an atheist, I've never been particularly bothered by the idea of people praying on my behalf. When the big fuss came out a few years ago over Mormons doing their "baptism by proxy" schtick, I thought it was kind of sweet -- "Awwww, they like me enough to try and save me from an eternal damnation I don't think exists! I should send them a gift basket or something."

I guess, if you were a devout believer in a competing mediterranean death cult, and felt that third party shenanigans might spike placement odds in your preferred afterlife, I could see it getting your knickers in a knot.

Now, as tickled as I may be by the idea of someone gyrating and genuflecting for the benefit of my immortal soul (which will last exactly as long as I remain metabolically viable) the fact remains that, as a disaster response, #ThoughtsAndPrayers is a waste of time and bandwidth as opposed to #GetOutYourCheckbook or, better still, #GotAVanFullOfWaterAndTPandHeadedDownToFillSandbags.

Roberta X said...

Unlike being prayed about -- and who would mind that? -- to be prayed *over* is to have someone invade your physical space, imploring their notion of the Almighty to intervene. It's aggressive and usually unwelcome.