Saturday, June 15, 2024

Breakfast And Supper

     Today was a good day.  I watched cartoons, did a heap of laundry and little yard work -- and made a couple of tasty meals.

     Breakfast was four strips of bacon, fried and set aside (and the rendered fat reserved), followed by a large Idaho potato, diced into small cubes, soaked in cold water and rinsed a few times, and then fried in a tablespoon of bacon grease with some Bragg's spice mixture and a little Cajun seasoning.  When it was about done, I snipped a pickled Piparra pepper into the pan, followed by three pitted Kalamata olives sliced.  I pushed it to the sides of the skillet and scrambled four eggs in the middle, crumbling the bacon in and adding a sprinkle of parsley once the eggs were done.  Served with a little shredded cheese and hot sauce, it was just what I needed to fuel the day.

     We had supper about seven, and it was a rare treat: I had some holiday pay from working Memorial Day, and the grocery had nice New York strip steaks, their second-tier quality, at a price I could justify.  I seasoned them with coarse salt left to sit for fifteen minutes and a little pepper, then grilled them over hardwood lump charcoal, very rare for Tam and medium-well for me.  Using the good charcoal and starting it with nothing but paper, kindling and a match helps get the most from even less-expensive meat.  Add in a couple of baked potatoes* and microwave butter-steamed mixed vegetables (zucchini, pea pods, carrots, bell peppers, cauliflower and broccoli), and it was quite a repast.
_______________________
* Honest, I almost never have potatoes twice a day.  Well, hardly ever.

No comments: