Because if I call it chili, the Texans get restive. The various kinds of stuff we make in the Midwest are drastically different anyway, so I don't mind calling the genre by a different name.
What I grew up with was a mild dish with ground beef, tomatoes, red kidney beans and elbow macaroni, with cumin-heavy seasoning. What I make is...not that.
Tonight's had lean ground beef, a cut-up strip of bacon, a chopped fresh white onion, red, fresh red, yellow and green bell peppers, diced fresh mushrooms, a little grocery-store fresh pico de gallo, bright red peppadew peppers, two cans of mild green chilis, a little pickled red onion, some bell pepper bruschetta, hot pickled okra cut into rounds and a box of crushed tomatoes.
That's a whole lot of stuff, which got browned and sauteed and stirred and simmered, with various spices along the way, mostly chili powder, Italian-mix seasoning, smoked paprika, a little celery salt on the ground beef, a dash of Cajun seasoning, and of course, three big bay leaves after everything was in the pot together and simmering.
It looks like this: I liked it, and there's plenty left for later, probably with some different meat added and whatever else appeals to me.
Update
1 year ago


7 comments:
Yum. Checked my mail and still no dinner invitation.
You're right. It's NOT chili. Still looks good, though.
Mine hasn't yet arrived, either John.
Red Stew- a lovely linguistic compromise- I have Midwestern heritage and lived in Texas, and that meal looks very yummy and thoughtfully prepared.
Any of you can stop by for dinner any time you;re in town, but bear in mind the ambiance of Roseholme Cottage is a cross between "Used Book Store" and early-stage hoarder.
Thank you for your kind invitation, Roberta. If ever I find myself within shouting distance, I shall make every effort to take you up on your offer.
Your historic description is what my Mom called "goulash"...with tomato sauce instead of fresh tomatoes.
Many of our dishes these days include the small red, yellow, and green peppers. We are rarely without a bag of those on hand. We also have dehyrdrated hash browns in stock most of the time. They will usually end up in a cast iron skillet and baked in the oven with meat and the aforementioned peppers.
Post a Comment