Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Happy Thankgiving

Found out last night my family's scheduled the big Thanksgiving Dinner....on a day I'm working.

I've been in the same job for twenty-mumble years and the same biz nearly all my working life and we don't get extra days off, just the holiday (if we are lucky) and whatever regular days off we already have. I've had normal weekends off for years.

My family knows this. Of what's a four-day weekend for people with nonessential jobs, they picked Friday, the one day I do not have off.

Hey, I can take a hint. Okay, then. Let's skip Christmas, too, 'kay?

9 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Well, THAT sucks. I'm sorry it happened to you, though.

Tango Juliet said...

Ditto. What poor planning!! :(

Roberta X said...

I'm kind of not. I'd made something of an effort to reach out this last year (or as much as I could -- in addition to working long hours, it's just not in me to be all that close) and this is an unambiguous response: I wasted my time.

LeeAnn said...

I have to work that day too. I feel your pain.
My brother's birthday sometimes falls on Thanksgiving. Depending on his mood, he says he's either the reason for the season, or that he's getting gypped by having to share his day with a turkey as the star.

Roberta X said...

It's really more of a dawns-the-light feeling than pain. I moved out a long time ago.

LabRat said...

Fuck 'em.

I know the feeling.

Joseph said...

Sorry to hear that, Roberta.

If I lived in the area, I'd be more than glad to tender an invite for Thanksgiving dinner.

As for Christmas...it's become so commercial that I'm about ready to cancel it from here on out. Just call me the Grinch. I even have a Grinch tie.

Roberta X said...

I'll make my own Thanksgiving dinner. I'm a good cook! Last year (or was it the year before?) I made turducken, mashed potatoes with bacon-mushroom gravy, and some odds and ends. I need to get the bird and an apple pie ordered, soon.

As for my family... H'mm. Nope, I've got nothing to say.

Anonymous said...

We should all take "those" family members and put them all together, the rest of us could have a really great time!! Our party pooper happens to be my mother. She's a real downer at the holidays and we are all pretty fed up with it. I know your pain, glad you are the type that moves on. Have fun, go to the range or something fun!