Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful For...

What'm'I thankful for?

I'm thankful I was born when I was; any earlier and it would've been a lot more difficult to get where I am.

I'm thankful for my family, even when we don't get along. I haven't helped it, having recently complained to a mass e-mail list about a semi-fake, mass e-mailed "virus alert," with the usual warning about "don't open attachments to any e-mail with the subject line [BLANK]" and years out of date. Hey, here's an idea, don't open e-mail attachments, period. There are usually alternatives for things like e-cards. Why is it the same people who send you these things also send out e-mail with huge attachments and subject lines like TOO CUTE!! or IT MAKES ME PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN, the latter as if the accomplishments of the last 234 years pale in comparision to a staged photo of fighter jets over the Statue of Liberty? But never mind; gripe about lousy netiquette and you, too can be considered an unfeeling brute. --All that aside, having a family still beats growing up in the gutters and alleyways and I believe mine managed to greatly exceed the minimum recommended daily amount of Family Goodness. Bless and keep 'em all.

I am thankful for the cats that stuck with me for nearly 20 and 21 years. I still miss them.

I'm thankful to have a job. I complain about it sometimes; I'm always on call, we work regular overtime and there aren't a lot of holidays, but it sure beats not working. In over twenty years, I have never had a paycheck bounce and the few times my hours were questioned, it was because I was suspected of under-reporting them.

I'm thankful to have friends. I am a difficult person, emotionally distant and not much of a conversationalist. I'm happy -- and, really, amazed -- that some folks will tolerate it.

I'm thankful for blogging. It's a good creative outlet.

--And I'm thankful for readers. I'd probably still be blogging if I didn't have any (I used to joke that my blog was for me and the search-engine 'bots) but having folks read and comment is a huge plus! The quality of commenters here is a source of delight; the overwhelming majority of you are clever and well-informed. (The other 1% are, of course, spam-bots; and they don't count).

Have a good Thanksgiving!

14 comments:

Sarah said...

And a good Thanksgiving to you, too. Mmmm...turkey. *Homer Simpson sound effect*

Ed Skinner said...

Turkey dinner, turkey snacks, turkey leftovers, turkey sandwiches, microwaved turkey dinner, cold turkey, turkey scraps ...

Cheeseburger? No thanks.

JohnMXL said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, Roberta, and to your roomie.

I can't speak for the spambots, but _I_ enjoy reading your posts!

WV: 'fohsatio' - I won't comment on the first image that came to mind. Upon further reflection, I believe that 'fohsatio' is that false feeling of being full that leads one back to the holiday buffet to nibble on leftovers.

Joseph said...

I am thankful for the caliber of bloggers such as yourself and Tam. Such makes life a bit more worth living.

Ed Skinner did not mention Turkey Beer. There must be Turkey Beer somewhere in the universe!

rickn8or said...

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Roseholme-ians.

Frank W. James said...

Happy Thanksgiving to the residents of RoseHolme. I think we all are thankful for what IS and not what ISN'T.

And Yeah, I miss my daughter's cat as well. She was a terrfic animal, but I'm glad I was given the experience...

All The Best,
Frank W. James

BobG said...

Have a good holiday, lady.

WV: rearme
When a Frenchman picks up his gun he just dropped.

Jeffro said...

The best to ya, Roberta - enjoy the day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Roberta. Thank you for taking the time to share a bit of your world with us.

Jim

og said...

Happy thanksgiving from someone THANKFUL to rate possibly a bit higher than a spambot.

George said...

Frankly, Roberta, we're damned thankful we've got you. Hope your day was a great one.

Regards.

Tango Juliet said...

Ditto!! Among the many other good things in my life, I am thankful for your blog.

Home on the Range said...

We're thankful that you're around, sparking the creativity that's in all of us, making us smile.

Happy Thanksgiving Bobbie.

Larry said...

I only rarely comment, but I read regularly. I enjoy your point of view, and the domestic reports- helps one keep sane while living in a tent, that some people have regular lives, and good humour about their trials and tribulations.