Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tam Offered Me A Scoop

I turned it down.

...Seems TSA FedGov, specifically a U.S. Marshal's office,* leaked a hundred-odd old low-resolution millimeter-wave scans that they hadn't stored properly (Gizmodo).

I don't care. Look, you don't like it, don't fly. IMO, this country is irreparably broken. I can't fix it. Most people do not seem to want it fixed. Politically, I am committed to stickin' an umbrella in the spokes, every chance I get.

If you do fly, you're either gonna get Your Personal Areas touched or have them photographed by high-rez imaging.

If this bothers you, don't fly.

I'm a lot more bothered by the way HIPAA makes my damn medical records a lot less private; I'm a lot more bothered by low-level functionaries blandly demanding my "social" for minor transactions. I'm put off by secret lists of "evildoers" with secret selection criteria and no known way to clear one's name. I'm considerably more bothered by government meddling in health insurance and home loans. Sneaky nakedesque imagry and/or gloved gropes? Go to it, .gov pervs. I've been seen nekkid by better and worse than you and I wasn't impressed. As for what their opinions might've been, I. Do. Not. Care. If TSA gets nekkid pix of me, maybe they'll sell the effing things on the Intrawebz and offset their bloody drain on my taxes, the scum.
_______________
* Thanks to falnfenix for catching this!

6 comments:

JohnMXL said...

It may be nitpicking, but it's HIPAA, not HIPPA.

Regardless of the acronym you use, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act is another of those 'we're from the government and we're here to help you' enactments that creates more problems than it fixes, and many of the created problems are worse than what the law was designed to address!

Newbius said...

You GO, girl!

(WV:'factingi' that thing you keep trying to remember...)

Laura said...

those were from an older scanner at a courthouse, not from the TSA.

Roberta X said...

I'll fix the acronym. The other, I'll be checking out and then fixing.

George said...

I dunno about this whole thing, Roberta. I understand that the machines we have up here in the Great White North are somewhat different from yours.

I am sure that your TSA ... and our comparable version ... would get much more support if they ever caught something. Something other than nail clippers, the world's smallest pen knife, lotion bottles, etc.

Have they ever caught a terrorist bomber?

The symbolism of the patient, shuffling lines of passengers is appalling ... but ... they obviously have all decided to fly. (The one exception being that terrified three-year old girl.)



Regards,

Roberta X said...

I suspect yours is a bit less...gawrshawful than ours; Canada very much follows its own path in matters of government but they're usually polite about it.

I understand the outrage but compared to myriad of other FedGov invasions of privacy here in the States, TSA seems almost trivial. Creepifying, but nearly trivial.