Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Current-ish Events

     I haven't been much on the gun-grabber issue of later, as I figure if you're not already contacting Your Person in Washington -- and your state Capitol -- I'm unlikely to be able to nag you into so doing.  I will point out the antis have taken once more to calling normal-capacity magazines "assault clips" and breathlessly  claiming they're "only intended for killing."  --Like the "ultra-deadly 15-round assault clips" in a soldier's Beretta?  You know, the sidearm carried for last-ditch self-defense?

     I certainly hope it's deadly, given the alternative, but the goal is stopping an aggressor.  That's generally the job of handguns.  It is possible to shoot a handgun very accurately indeed, but as a general rule, it's a replacement for a sword, a replacement that requires less strength and less skill to use, most often employed at swordfight distances.  --Just like criminals, the antis don't want you to be able to defend yourself; it scares them.  Criminals have plans for you and your property that self-defense thwarts -- so what plans have the antis got?

     But that's not the only reason from my post.  I think I've figured out one reason for Hostess's (former) dominance in snack foods!  "Little Debbie" sells analogs of most of the ol' Hostess products along with some original treats.  One major area of divergence is ease of opening the packaging; if you were hankering for a Nutty Bar or a Cloud Cake, you'd better have a knife handy to get it outta the cellophane.  Sugar, eggs, flour and milk, that's established art.  But plastic?  I guess that's way harder to get just right.

11 comments:

JohninMd.(help?!) said...

Isn'that what they put scissors on Swiss Army knives for? €B-D}

B said...

It is true. The wrapper on Cloud cakes takes a knife to open. I'm wondering why they don't sell that as a competitor to Kevlar....

rickn8or said...

And this year's gun grabber breathless buzz-phrase is "High Capacity Ammunition."

Dave H said...

You people just lack practice. I can open an Oatmeal Cream Pie with one hand and a couple of teeth.

(Funny coincidence, Little Debbie's mascot looks a lot like my sister-in-law, Deb. I don't know if her mother was a fan of their products, but there were cerainly enough examples of them in our area.)

Bubblehead Les. said...

What plans do they have? Well, I don't know, but they sure aren't letting it die. In fact, just TODAY it turns out the Former Congress Critter Gabbie Giffords and her former Astronaut Hubbie Mark Kelley are forming a NEW Anti-Gun Organization.

Gee, we now have "Sarah Brady: The Next Generation."

Old NFO said...

Good point Roberta!!! :-) and yes, scissors on Swiss Army knives!

Anonymous said...

Pull the wrapping apart where the cellophane has been heat sealed. Comes right apart. Do they wrap the Cloud Cakes with something different?

Maybe I just get so enthusiastic when I get into a Cream Cheese Streusel Cake I don't even notice.

Oh god I want some streusel cake now.

Mike James

Frank W. James said...

Roberta X; thank you so much for your attempt to help me figure this damn Blogger out, but my screen has NO "Choose Files" button or tab.

for further explanation return to my blog as I posted a response to your generous attempt to help my lack of tech ability...

All The Best,
Frank W. James

art said...

You know, of course, that Little Debbie Nut Bars are the perfect food. A balance of sugar and fat, often found at bargain prices. Note that I didn't say healthy food.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone ever gotten a Nutty Bar out of the wrapper without mangling it?

markm said...

Little Debbie's is just trying to protect your health - if you aren't strong enough to pop the wrapper open, you shouldn't be eating what's inside.