Along about 1630, I stopped feeling like hammered death; so I thunk a bit and then dug out my 36" pennyfarthing bike to ride down the Monon to the Indy 1500 Gun & Knife Show--
- Broad Ripple Hipsters and Gunnies react about the same to a highwheel bike: half the adults and all the kids are openly delighted, and the remainder are one-quarter sourpusses, almost one-quarter who have a sly grin, and one-in-ten who says, "Neat!" or "That looks like fun!" etc.
- Despite bikes being free admission to the Fairgrounds, there's a dearth of racks to lock 'em up. Found a place I didn't mind too much, a fence near a service entrance, and cleared it with the parking/security guy. But they otta maybe charge bikes carryin' grown-ups a buck and use the proceeds to buy some bike racks.
- No line at 1700 for a show that closes at 1800, but a steady flow of people inbound nevertheless. And plenty crowded inside, too.
- Mike Williamson's blog, which usually does okay, has been (his words) "burning up the Internet" with some 100K+ days for his various fiskings and rebuttals to Mr. Obama and Mr. Biden's goofy plans and proposals. --And he darned well should be getting that many hits. Mike's tables were pretty busy too, with his usual assortment of T-shirts, knives (practical and fantasy), books and collectable firearms.
- If I'd wanted .22 LR, and I do, I'd'a been nearly outta luck. What is there is sellin' for $16/50 at best. I need to check stock here at Roseholme Cottage; when my Ruger Mk. II was acting up, I set some of the cheaper stuff aside for later.
- Natch, I bought a gun, a teeny-weeny Astra "Firecat" .25, a plain one to go with the fancy engraved generic Eibar-type Tam gave me last birthday. Some are striker-fired and some have concealed hammers but they're very much all of a pattern, the purse-and-vest-pocket arms of an earlier time, good mostly for telling ruffians, "Step back, sirrah, I have a gun." (That was back when most malefactors, not having benefit of sanitized TV and movie violence, realized a .25 to gizzard or gullet was gonna hurt pretty bad. Even now, it's better than a sharp stick.)
May go back tomorrow.
Working On A Starship
3 weeks ago