Monday, December 20, 2010

View From The Top

Remember that candelabra TV tower from a few days ago? It turns out my friends at Eagle Tower Service shot some video there:

But wait! There's even more climbing to be done! (And you'll see I was wrong about the antenna being a top-mount. It's side-mounted to a flimsy-looking pole)

Catch his last clear line? "I hate these poles!" Maybe so, but not as much as the rest of us fear them. That last few hundred feet, cantilevered out over emptiness? No thank you.

11 comments:

rickn8or said...

Whatever they pay these guys ain't enough.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

I think I can see my house from there.

Marty said...

I get the jeebs just looking at that.

Jim said...

Totally off-topic, if your retro-tech collection needs a couple of freebie Otari MX 5050 B II 2 reel-to-reel machines, give Blaine (Indiana Radio Watch) a jingle.

BobG said...

Just looking at that makes my stomach queasy. Of course, I get vertigo when I stand on my toes.

Anonymous said...

Whatever they pay those guys... they can have it!

Jim

Jeffro said...

Brrr. Not this fat boy.

Tam said...

He: "Go climb up that antenna or I'll shoot you!"

Me: "I'm afraid you're just going to have to shoot me."

George said...

Like the little chicken I am, I decided to not even watch the video.

Regards.

Steve in TN said...

My first thought was: All it takes is one off course low flying airplane...

Roberta X said...

That's why we put lights on them! (There are minimum vertical and horizontal avoidance zones, though closer than you might think -- 500' in any direction, something like that).

A candelabra in Columbus, OH did snag a hot-air balloon. Very bad. Balloons have right of way over everything else in the air...except towers.