Monday, July 18, 2011

Quick Takes

I was going to refrain from commenting on Chicago's (Chicago???) 26-foot tall Marilyn Monroe upskirt statue, which gives passers-by a whole new perspective on the iconic scene from The Seven-Year Itch; I was remarking to Tam that I "wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole" when it occurred to me that, of course, if you stood in the right place, you most certainly could.

-

Not quite relatedly, when I own my very own planet, I'm gonna name it "DuLang." I'm going to name the biggest continent DuLang, too, and on a delightful bay on the coast of that continent, I'll establish the capital city, DuLang. In the bay will be a 400' statue of me (some decades ago), young and lovely, and it will be called She's So Fine (DuLang, DuLang, DuLang).

-

The Army of ever-hungry North Korea has refused to even consider establishing a small corps of musicians playing traditional Western instruments; they singled out one in particular as being an egregious example of decadent reactionary capitalism, declaring the country had no use whatsoever for a fifin' Nork.

-

And on the topic of food, breakfast here at Roseholme Cottage today was no joke: genuine Surry Sausage (well-smoked, though it wanted cooked) and fried free-range eggs. Yum! Easily the best smoked sausage I have had.

9 comments:

Bruce H. said...

>> ... fifin' Nork.

I do that too. Spoonerism generator runs constantly in the background, fingering everything I read, hear, or say, resulting in things like "twice porked cook".

A related game is to add, remove, or change one letter in a title. For instance, Stephen King's seven volume saga of the laundry challenged bachelor gunslinger, The Dark Towel.

Bruce H. said...

And if I ever figure out what a wrunchkin is, I'm totally going to start a blog named The Wrunchkin Mangler.

CGHill said...

A few years back, someone synchronized a set of studio stage tapes to produce the first-ever stereo mix of the Chiffons' "He's So Fine," and I toyed briefly with the idea of a whole label devoted to such sonic tweakery, which would perforce be called DuLang Records.

But hey, I think your idea constitutes a far-greater public service.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Still lovely.

IMH (and married) O. :)

Anonymous said...

Alright, I have no problem with Planet DuLang--I love the Sixties girl groups, and don't want to know anyone who doesn't.

But the third one, "fifin' NorK"? Uuurrgghhh, the word 'horsewhip' sprang unbidden to mind.

Show some mercy.

Mike James

Sabra said...

Well, that song is gonna be stuck in my head for the rest of the day...

Roberta X said...

Bruce, I thought a "wrunchkin" was a baby mechanic?

Nathan, CG, I blush.

Mike, Sabra, you're welcome! ;)

og said...

You're still plenty easy on the eye, and your 40' tall statue should include you on the scooter leaning into a turn, hair streaming out behind the helmet, books and bugs(keys) and bananas rattling around in the basket. Possibly with plastic streamers on the grips.

elmo iscariot said...

...In the bay will be a 400' statue of me...

And it will breathe fire and periodically bellow "REMEMBER ME!"