Friday, July 01, 2011

New Chemex User:

From SpeakerTweaker, commenting on "Real Coffee, A Dollar A Day:"
I caught this post back when you wrote it, and the whole Chemex thing stuck in my head for a while. After having hand-drip coffee from a buddy (what a similar concept), I decided to splurge on the Chemex.

Well, as luck would have it, before I got a chance to order one, The Wifey spotted the 40oz. version in World Market here in San Antonio. They even stock the special filters.

Huzzah! Getting some coffee from a local shop this afternoon. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Enjoy! The better the coffee, the better the brew -- and good water helps, too. (Indy city water is pretty variable).

5 comments:

SpeakerTweaker said...

Didn't catch this post earlier (sorry!), but I can tell you, without a doubt, that the coffee I made in the 40 oz. Chemex was the best-tasting cup of coffee I have ever tasted.

Very, very good stuff. Thanks for the head's up! Also, store-bought brown cone filters are a bad idea.



tweaker

Roberta X said...

Thank for the report! Just as I'vebeen saying, it's a cut above. The glass pot doesn't hold old flavor like plastic does.

--Use Chemex-brand filters, most of the others won't hold up in the open-bottomed cone of a Chemex. They make 'em in white and unbleached (which is what I prefer).

SpeakerTweaker said...

When The Wifey bought me the Chemex (what a woman!), she also picked up a 100-pack of the unbleached folded-square Chemex filters. Better make sure I don't run out of those!

Time to make another batch. :)



tweaker

Knotthead said...

After reading this last month, I mulled it over for a couple of weeks and capitulated. Good move.

I'd had the impression this was something new, but just after ordering one, I was watching a lousy movie on the SyFy network and, low and behold, there was a Chemex filled with coffee. The movie was filmed in 1979.

Roberta X said...

Chemex makers are way older than that -- I used a similar maker 20+ years ago and switched to Chemex after one was mentioned in a Theodore Sturgeon story -- from the 1950s.

Actual invention was in 1941!