Monday, October 17, 2011

Nurse Bobbi

Tam is miserably sick. Her chills, aches and sinus congestion paint a pretty clear picture; it's either a terribly bad cold, a middlin' bout of the flu, or, considering researchers have been playing with it in labs only recently, a touch of the ol' Yersinia pestis.

Whatever it is, the treatment is still what it always was (or should have been): plenty of rest, sufficient nutrition and the tincture of time. So I made us a good breakfast and I believe she's planning to return to Slumberland once I'm off to work.

Roseholme being as small as it is and my employer having yet again dragged their feet on flu shots (we nearly always get 'em after the year's first wave and I rarely remember to get one on my own*), my turn is nearly inevitable. With any luck, she'll be feeling better by then.
________________________________________
* Mind you, my insurance would even pick up the tab if I got the shot elsewhere. So, class, whose fault izzit I didn't already? Duh.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wife gave me her cold last week. Still trying to get over it...

Good luck.

perlhaqr said...

Well, uh, if her lymph nodes start swelling profoundly, get her to the hospital?

I suppose, given where I live, I really ought to make a better study of the symptoms of Y. Pestis.

og said...

Time for your spleen cleansing!

Standard Mischief said...

It's the exact same flu shot this year as last.

But the gummint says you need a booster shot anyway or the vaccine makers that were ordered to mix in the same three strains by the CDC as last year might go out of business or something.

Gotta love the private-public public-healthcare partnership

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

"a tincture of time."

Time dissolved in alcohol, at 80-120 proof or higher?

I want some! Where do you get it?

Tango Juliet said...

Does this mean she might get delirious and put up bikini pics again?

:)

BGMiller said...

Nurse Bobbi......

Yup, that mental image should make this Monday tolerable.

Thanks.

BGM

Guffaw in AZ said...

I remember two things: (in the Barney Fife - style list)

A. Granny (of Beverly Hills fame) had a cold cure, made from hog jowls, possum curd, etc. One ate this stuff and was cured, in two weeks!

2. I prefer not to get the shot. I like getting it naturally, through mutual osculation.
Not getting the flu this year - dammit!

Crucis said...

I hope she didn't handle any of those p-d's that were shot at Blogorado. They have been known to carry then Plague.

Hat Trick said...

I hope Tam feels better soon.

Anybody else from Blogorado have the same symptoms?

Roberta X said...

At least two. I am betting flu. I am hoping my shot from last year still holds.

wrm said...

The kids brought the flu home. The wife got the shot and the flu. I didn't get the shot but dosed up on a little orange pill called "Immunoguard" or some such. Apparently contains "pro-biotics".

Now I have no idea what those are, but it's clearly more than marketing, 'cos it works. I had a sore body for a day and was tired for a week, and that was it.

rickn8or said...

Good thoughts your way for you and Tam.

And thoughts of Nurse Bobbi. Ohh, yes.

perlhaqr said...

Oh! I had forgotten. There are shots you can get now that will make a bout of the flu much shorter, if you get one in time.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/antivirals/summary-clinicians.htm

Roberta X said...

Alas, I'm more Nurse Ratchett than Naughty Nurse. Except I'm helpful.

phlegmfatale said...

Good call on the tincture of time. I went to the dr, spent about $200 on Dr and meds, and aepilotjim came down with identical symptoms on the same day as me, and he treated his with over-the-counter meds, and I think he actually got better faster. And his wallet is happier than mine, too, I'll bet. You take care of Our Girl. And take care of yourself too.

Crap. I feel like Typhoid Mary, since I'm probably her Patient Zero. :P