Sunday, June 10, 2012

Webbed

The Nations You Never Heard Of! (I had, some)

There was a giant statue of The Mighty Og? --Lost in a windstorm, Sick Transit Glorioski Monday ("The bus is in the shop but the work week is starting with great weather").

Who thought this was a good name? No. Just no.

Robert Green Ingersoll, snarking with class: "Nations with a good soil can get along with an exceedingly poor religion...." ("...Reply To His Critics In The N. Y. 'Evening Telegram'," pg. 9, 1892)

Also, one man's plans for the prevention of uninvited aeronauts. Huzzah, says I, huzzah!

9 comments:

kishnevi said...

It's missing Achzivland, although I see the population has declined since I visited it back in 1973 (I still have the "visa" mixed in with the photographs.
http://ourmicronations.com/Akhzivland

og said...

You have to admit, its a pretty good likeness.

karrde said...

I've heard of one or two of those nations 'never-heard-of'.

But most of them are surprises.

karrde said...

About the pizza place: would that be the kind of pizza place that a guy should never take his date to?

fast richard said...

We had a neighbor like Mr. Devey at the drop zone where I started skydiving. I never quite understood why someone would buy a homesite smack in the middle of a private airport, then object to aviation activity in the neighborhood. Our landlord expressed regret at having sold him that little plot of land.

Even in those days of simple round parachutes an experienced jumper could avoid his property, but the occassional beginning student would not be so fortunate. I don't think she really deserved to be poked in the ass with a pitchfork for such a minor trespass, nor do I think he was justified in plunging the pitchfork through her dragging parachute to prevent her from leaving his property.

Roberta X said...

Kishnevi: I'm pretty sure I found it in an actual footnote on that site!

Anonymous said...

D & C Pizza

I wouldn't have to take a date there, karrde, because I'm certain they deliver...

Antibubba

Stretch said...

That list of nations just blew my week's schedule to Hell.
Thanks a lot.
Off to make travel plans.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shoutout! I love seeing Footnotes to History get attention after a decade.

-James Erwin