Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Nice Storm

     Oh, if only that had been what the nice man inside my TV had said.  He didn't; he said, "An ice storm," and it's freezing raining or sleeting outside right now, a steady susurrus of tiny little Faerie hailstones just at the cusp of freezing hard enough to clatter like the sands of time, piling up in corners and clefts in a hit-melt-refreeze cycle that bodes ill for the dawn.

     As in, might not have juice.  Might not have DSL

    Temperatures are supposed to climb pretty rapidly tomorrow; all this mess should be in the storm drains by noon.  Between now and noon -- ah, there's the adventure.  Or something.

     For now, the trash is out, the laundry is running, Tam has volunteered the Subie as Emergency Back-Up Vehicle Du Jour Of The Day and I'm getting on the outside of a bowl of warm beef stew, revved up with chickpeas,* diced red bell pepper, chives and a splash of hot sauce.  I'm prewarming the bed with an electric blanket, just in case.

     Maybe it'll just be a nice storm.  Guess I'll find out.
____________________________________
* I admit it: I love 'em.  Chickpeas, ceci, garbanzos, whatever you call 'em.  They were my favorite ingredient in umpteen-bean soup and the Indians (East) do marvelous things with them.  Hot, cold, buttered or spiced, they're one of my comfort foods, especially on a cold and stormy night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a pretty piece of writing in that first paragraph

greg said...

Don't quite share your enthusiasm for chick peas. About the only thing I do with them is smash them up roughly, and mix them in with ground turkey and cumin and worchester sauce to make a hella hearty turkey burger.

Old NFO said...

Snuggle in and stay warm...

Old NFO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joanna said...

Hummus is one of the best things ever.

That's all I got.