Thursday, October 16, 2014

I Think Skynet Ate One Of My Friends

     Had some normal e-mail back-and-forth, very low traffic rate, then it suddenly went spammy.  Most of his other online output went spammy, too.  The sole remaining place where he shows up, his posting has gone...odd.  Nothing but roughly-profile-appropriate links.  Can't get a response via any e-mail or online messaging address for him.

     I really dislike calling people up on the telephone.  Given my extraordinary ineptness at (and hard-learned desire to avoid) most close human interaction, if I do dig, I'll probably find out it's my fault.  Or he's found himself a new and better class of friend (in which case, see previous sentence and good for him).

     But the manner of it is...unsettling.

     Well, at least it's not The Ebola, right?

8 comments:

Eagle said...

How do you know he was real in the first placed and not a bot? ;-)

NAVIGATOR said...

THERE WAS A PROGRAM TO CONTROL RABIES BY DISTRIBUTING EDIBLE VACCINES FOR RACCOONS AND OTHER WILD CREATURES

YOU MIGHT WANT TO PLACE THE EDIBLE MEDS AROUND YOUR PROPERTY/NEIGHBORHOOD TO STAVE OFF ANY TROUBLE WITH RABID 4 LEGGIDS

POLITICIANS THE VOTING BOOTH IF PROPERLY APPLIED

rickn8or said...

" Or he's found himself a new and better class of friend..."

Not entirely sure that's possible.



Charming. WV has gone from numbers to letters again...

Paul said...

Who has friends?

Anonymous said...

There is an ongoing attack on social networking from somewhere in Eastern Europe. A friend's email was hacked about a month ago...

That is the kind of thing where you have all of your passwords the same, they are easy to deduce via social engineering (your favorite cat's name is probably on your Facebook page) and you never ever change your PW.

So go with the "your email got hacked and is sending me all kinds of weird adverts."

Roberta X said...

I did finally hear from him, or at least from a person or machine claiming to be him, and it sounded....very much like him. Was it really him? Probably.

Cincinnatus said...

Good to were able to reestablish contact.

Jennifer said...

I hate it when Skynet eats my friends