Yesterday, I stopped just inside the gate of the North campus to check out what I thought was trash -- big, white pieces of something on the grass, some distance from the lane.
Close-up, they appeared to be puffball mushrooms, the giant kind, one gone a bit random in shape and several more nearby, including two in the skull-to-basketball size range.
Puffballs are generally safe to eat (proceed at your own risk: I am not an expert!) and even tasty, though most sources advise peeling them before cooking, especially the larger ones. Nevertheless, I passed these up: they were right in the middle of a big patch of yellow-brown mushrooms. The yellow ones in more sheltered areas had caps flecked with brighter yellow-orange: Yellow Patches toadstools, Amanita flavoconia. And yes, like most of their relatives, quite poisonous. When I got back in my car and drove to the building, I realized we had a lot of them, in all the recently-mowed sections of the field. The weekend rains must have brought them out.
Those big white puffballs are very probably okay to eat, but I'm going to pass them up. I don't like the company they're keeping.
Photographs later, as time permits.
BUILDING A 1:1 BALUN
2 years ago