Friday, January 22, 2010

Time, Books And Dinner

Or, "I'd Post Something Longer, But I Have Been Reading."

I'd been hearing about F. Paul Wilson's "Repairman Jack" series for quite some time. Stumbled over a few in my last two used book store crawls and have been enjoying them. Unusual premise, it's as if H. P. Lovecraft had done outlines for Travis McGee novels and Lester Dent had fleshed them out -- but if you recognize all three names, you'll probably like Repairman Jack.

Unrelatedly (other than that I was reading at the time), last night's dinner was chickpeas and rice (with a dabba margarine), topped with diced carrots and celery and pickled okra. Yum! This is one advantage I'll have if the economy continues to crumble: I like rice and beans. (No, I'm not going vegan; I had three thin slices of good deli salami, too).

3 comments:

Joe Allen said...

As a fan of L. Neil Smith, you should look for F. Paul Wilson's "LaNague Chronicles", a compilation of "An Enemy of the State", "Wheels Within Wheels" and "Healer".

I expect you'll dig it.

Joe

Anonymous said...

and for additional reading pleasure.......try

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dunning_%28writer%29


not just the radio books but the "Cliff Janeway" novels.

Noel

BobG said...

I've quite enjoyed the series; I first started reading Wilson's stuff with his book The Keep, and have been a fan ever since. They've made movies from two of his books, but they were both done badly.