Friday, December 02, 2011

Book Question: Pharaoh

Have any of my readers read Pharaoh?

It's an historical novel by late 19th/early-20th Century Polish writer Bolesław Prus. I stumbled over it on a Wiki-wander and it looks fascinating.

(In other news, writing-related, my fine old Compaq keyboard died. It may be time for a visit to Buckling Springs, though not this paycheck -- Family Christmas comes early this year.)


Peter said...

It's available from Project Gutenberg:


Anonymous said...

Anything special you liked about a Compaq keyboard? I have a couple of them from different eras and a cabinet full of HP era as well. Consider it freecycling if you're interested.

Roberta X said...

Thank you, Peter. --I was wondering if it was worth reading. For sure the "buying" part is now suddenly a non-issue, and I can find out for myself.

Anon: Layout, feel and angle of my old KB-0133 is very close to the classic IBM spring-buckler -- and not very different to the IBM Electromatic B typewriter keyboard, which I still think is the best ever made.

I've borrowed Tam's old Logictech but even with the feet deployed, it sits too flat. (Waah! And I wanna blankie!)

Nathan said...

I like my IBM KB-8923. I loved my IBM Model M...but sadly it went the way of the dinosaurs several years ago.

I think I have an HP KB-0133 in my office downtown if you want it. I'll have to check that.

Joat said...

I've got one of the unicomp ( keyboards at work they aren't as heavy duty as the old model m's the typing feel is close, and they come in USB.

Rob K said...

Joat, sort of beat me to it:

I bought this one for use at work ( and I have been very, very happy with it. It feels just like the classic Model M to me. It's what a keyboard is supposed to be.