Friday, December 23, 2011

Oh, I Do Get Letters

A very bubbly but content-free one from Amplified Media, some sort of marketing venture that "loves [my] site." Heck, they were even "impressed with the quality and scope," though I dunno if it was the inadvertent misspellings, lousy arithmetic or the frequent use of a kinda-folksy dialect what won 'em over.

Anyway, they prolly want me to huckster soap or blow-molded plastic novelties or something; whatever, I don't see it workin' here even a little bit.

So here's what I wrote back:

Emma, you seem polite and friendly but cui bono? --What's in it for you?

I don't do adverts on my blogs, period. I work in old-fashioned media. My employers do adverts. My blog is a hobby -- and cannot have even the mere appearance of competing with them. So that pretty much leaves me out of "exciting new opportunities."

I refuse to do covert ads or direct readers to anything other than those items that have actually caught my attention; I think it would be dishonest and unfair to do so. Isn't there already enough faked-up crap in this world?

As for my insights and opinions, I believe elections show pretty conclusively that they are not widely shared. The Internet does allow me to find other people with compatible notions but we're not much of a purchasing bloc. This makes my blog an ineffective tool for anything but a simple outlet for me.

Please bear in mind that while you are free to personally enjoy my blog content, the original content, both written and visual, is protected by U. S. copyright law and international treaties. Notice to that effect is to be found in the right-hand sidebar.

Best of luck in your endeavors, whatever they may be; I found your website http://www.amplifiedmedia.org/ (tsk, always include a link, otherwise you look sneaky) but there's very little content at it. I would recommend putting some of your energy and enthusiasm to work filling in the outlines there: if you want to attract bees, grow flowers.

I'm probably too mean. But here's the deal: I do this for me. I'm not doin' it for the money or the fame or whatever; it's an outlet. If I didn't do this, I'd be even more annoying to the people around me, sharing the noise level inside my head.

6 comments:

Keads said...

I am glad you do it for you as do I. Given this post I hope you will not find what is in your email inbox linked to this account an affront!

Roberta X said...

I did not, not at all! I was amazed and pleased. Thank you!


It's not that I consider myself some kind of noble artiste, just that I figure there are plenty of ads out there -- honest ads, like Tam has, that earn an honest buck. But I don't have even ten percent of the traffic she gets; ten percent of a buck is, let's see, carry the three-- Yeah, a dime. And here or elsewhere, it's a penny's worth of irk to the reader unless the ad is for something they're wanting to buy. So I don't see it making sense on a small-traffic blog, especially when my employer makes millions and I would be competing with them (they're on the 'net, too). Only other way is to embed the ads as real content, and I won't do that 'cos I think it is tantamount to lying.

MSgt B said...

Merry Christmas Roberta.

I like your blog just the way it is, ads can be rather annoying sometimes.

Oh crap, as soon as I wrote that the smarmy Billy Joel tune popped into my head. "Don't go changing, to try and please meeeeee..."

AAaaaaaagh! Earworm Hell!

Anyway, hope you enjoy your Christmas and New Year celebrations.

rickn8or said...

What MSGT B said.

I would have said it first, but he got up earlier than I did.

Crucis said...

You're more polite than me. I just send back a one sentence reply that is profoundly negative. Perhaps that's why I haven't gotten one yet this month?

You, Tam and all the Indy folks have a great Christmas.

Eck! said...

Hi,

I think you were a mite on the kind side. Being as they were trying to make a buck on your good will and all. Seems rude to me.

I'm no fan of blogs that advertize
and will avoid those that use pop ups and other more obtrusive adds.

Merry Chrsistmas and Happy Holidays.

Eck!