Saturday, August 04, 2012

Breakfast Of Winners!

...Roseholme-type winners, anyway. Tam and I went for bike rides (separately, she having bounced chirpily out the door while I was still incoherently cursing malign Fate) and crossed paths at the grocer's. There'd been some discussion earlier of corned beef hash, with Tam pointing out that the commercial variety just isn't what it used to be.

True.

...On the other hand, our corner grocer sells first-rate corned beef; all you have to do is ask the nice Deli Man to slice it thick and you can hash it out at home.

So, without further ado, Hash a la Roseholme:

Two strips of good bacon (I used applewood-smoked)
Two tablespoons of diced panchetta (+/- to taste)
Two nice potatoes (I used russets), cubed
Two-thirds of an onion, chopped
A poblano pepper, chopped (chipotle would work if you wanted more heat)
Some parrano cheese
Chives, either fresh or chopped

Fry the bacon and about half of the panchetta; remove from pan (wok!), leave the small amount of grease, toss in half the remaining panchetta and potatoes. Fry potatoes until almost done and push to edges of pan. Add onion (and rest of panchetta), cook until half done, mix with potatoes, add corned beef with some chives and cook until potatoes are done. Add poblano and parrano (to taste -- the sharpish cheese is kind of a moderator between smoky, salty and potato-y flavors) and let sit a minute or two for the cheese to melt and the poblano to wake up.

Season to taste -- I used some black pepper and that was all it took. (Mind the salt shaker, panchetta is plenty salty and corned beef isn't far behind. Thus the generous amount of tatties.)

Served with a plain omlette (you can sit it atop the hash, the combination works a treat) and good coffee. We had leftovers; this will probably serve four adults.

The flavors really work well together. The bad news: this is pretty high in things your doc told you to cut down on. So don't overdo it.

9 comments:

perlhaqr said...

Well, geez. You've already been out for a bike ride to the store, and I'm still sitting here at the computer, cursing malign fate myself. Stupid malign fate. *grumble*

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

I wish my wife would eat corned beef. Closest she'll get to it is pastrami.

I guess I could just make brisket hash like my mother used to do.

Robert Fowler said...

I like my corned beef hash with over easy eggs.
We made our first corned beef a while back. Everyone that tasted it said it was better than store bought. We're going to have to do another one soon. I was surprised at how simple it was. Now I need a smoker so I can make my own pastrami.

Dave H said...

I like my corned beef hash with over easy eggs

Ditto, or sunny-side up.

NAVIGATOR said...

From this force-ably retired foodie
well done! (the triple threat of 3 kinds
of fatty meat 2 fatty cheese and enuf sodium to pickle a barrel of herring sounds outstanding)

Casting aside all concern for triglycerides HDL/LDL CHOLESTEROLS AND
SODIUM Levels in our respective blood
chemistry the following is offered for
substitution for a more fitting Breakfast of champions

CORNED BEEF HASH (REAL)
ROAST POTATOES
BAKED BEANS
PICKLED RED CABBAGE
FRIED KIPPERED HERRING
A DILL PICKLE
TWO FRIED EGGS SUNNY SIDE UP
CONDIMENTS FROM THE TABLE
A BOTTLE OF GOOD LAGER
CIGAR
COFFEE OR TEA
A WEDGE OF CHERRY BLUEBERRY APPLE OR PEACH OR LEMON PIE

WHAT A WAY TO START THE DAY!

NAVIGATOR said...

Please note that in keeping with the policy of health nutrition and fitness the breakfast in the previous post incorporated all known food groups

Joseph said...

"Tam...bouncing chirpily...."



I want a video of that. I have a difficult time imagining the Queen of Snark as "chirpy"! LOL

Roberta X said...

It's little short of terrifying, Joseph, and you may tell her I said so.

Jerry said...

When it comes to hash, er, the corned-beef type, I like to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRFtWhM4S1k&feature=endscreen&NR=1