Sunday, September 02, 2012

Blue Monday -- Bleu Monday?

Like Blue Cheese, do you? Does it make you think about washing machines?

It should; Maytag Dairy Farms have dominated U.S. Blue Cheese production for decades, and yes, it's those Maytags. 50 years after the last Maytag was at the helm of the appliance company,[1] they're still running the diary[2] dairy farms. (And the reigning Maytag, or one of 'em, is also one of the fathers of the modern microbrewery!)

Alas, they haven't made gas-engine Toy Racers since WW II started. I don't think they ever restarted production of the little gasoline washing-machine engines that made 'em go. Still, it's creditable record of achievement.
_______________________________________
* Arguably, their products were never the same after the last Maytag left.

2. A typo duly noted -- and the never-ending work of a diary farm described -- in Comments. :D

11 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

I like the Maytag bleu -- it's a nice cheese. I like stinky cheese in general, though. Always good to let it warm to room temp to achieve its full blossom of gym-sockedness, and then it's so creamy to spread on a crust of bread. Hmmm... Favorite cooking to do with bleu cheese it take a breast of chicken, stuff fresh rosemary and freshly cracked pepper and salt up under the skin, then roast or grill it until it's nearly done, then lay a big slice of bleu cheese over it just a few minutes so it gets slightly oozy. Glorious.
But, yeah, I'd say Maygag's dairy product is a wonderful way for the family name to remain culturally relevant.

phlegmfatale said...

whoops. Maytag. Swear the Maygag thing weren't no Freudian slurp.

JC said...

but think of the repirmen!

Chas S. Clifton said...

Some of them own a ranch in my county, for what that's worth.

Chas S. Clifton said...

Some of them own a ranch in my county, for what that's worth.

Anonymous said...

" 50 years after the last Maytag was at the helm of the appliance company,* they're still running the diary farms."

Where you have to get up at four in the morning to slop the diarists, hose out their cages, and collect their thoughts.

We've all done it, but this is the Spoonerism worthy of a blogger.

Drang said...

*sigh*
I like bleu cheese well enough, but Maytag Bleu doesn't like me.

Roberta X said...

Something is broken, I was trying to delete duplicates but it's taking originals instead. Sorry, commenters.)

BobG said...

Personally, I prefer Gorgonzola rather than bleu.

Roberta X said...

I've never been fond of blue cheese, myself, but I won't let that stand in the way of good trivia!

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I met Fritz Maytag at a microbrewer's conference. A lifetime ago. Nice guy.