Sunday, September 09, 2012

The Prestige

Tam and I watched the film -- pretty much on a whim* -- this afternoon. (I was too sleepy to go to the range).

Da-yum. Good movie. Really good movie. Also? Bowie made a really fine Tesla, despite not looking all that much like him.

Not much I can say without getting spoilerific; I had figured out one man's trick fairly early, but you're meant to. If you haven't seen The Prestige, and you like steampunk, or Neil Stephenson, you are highly likely to enjoy it.
____________________________________________
* 'Cos The Prisoner is not available on Amazon va Roku or Kindle. Bummer. Need DVDs!

10 comments:

Sean D Sorrentino said...

It is a good movie. After watching it I went and bought the book. That was good too.

Dave said...

I also was was pleasantly surprised my the movie, but disappointed with the book. Two different stories.

jed said...

Well, cool, the library system has several copies. I'll put in a request for it and have it next weekend.

Cincinnatus said...

I hope you mean the old Patrick McGoohan Prisoner. The Caviesel mini series was incoherent. And not in a good way.

Sean D Sorrentino said...

Yeah, the book was VERY different. As for The Prisoner, it was interesting for a couple of episodes and then I just lost interest. I thought he whined too much. Maybe it was just the difference in how shows were made back then. It was groundbreaking at the time, now it's just weird.

Roberta X said...

Robin: yes, the McGoohan original!

Tam said...

I very much enjoyed The Prestige. I will probably watch it again, looking for cues and clues I missed the first time 'round.

It is almost Ridley Scott-like in its obsessiveness: Everything in the movie means something, every single gun is a Chekov 9mm...

Anonymous said...

The degree of forshadowing is fractsl, both visually and with plot/scene elements. At any given point, the film is telling you more than you realize.

Anonymous said...

fractal! Aw, fsck.

Angus McThag said...

I think it's nearly a different movie the second time through. And just as good.