Monday, November 04, 2013

Of Cats And "Tiny Birds"

     I was in the kitchen just now, slicing a rare and delicious yellow apple from the grocer's (seriously, this variety, a cross between the Golden Delicious and something obscure, tastes like honey-infused sunshine; I've never had better) when Rannie began looking up and singing the The Bird Song: "Enh, Enh, wheeeeeeeeenh, wheeeeeeengh...."

      Whatever it was was invisible-- no, there at the light fixture: a small, gray moth.

     "It's just a moth, Rannie.  You don't really want it."

     She shot me a skeptical look and went back to tracking, singing of bird-biting with a quivering jaw, "Wah-aaaaaanh, eeeeeenh, aaaaangh...."

     I made a swipe at the moth, missed, and it fluttered off.  Rannie left in disgust, making complaining noises. Sure hope I can find the darned thing before the cats get more serious about taking it on the wing.

     ETA: Got the moth right before bedtime -- went to get a bottle of water for bedside and it was lurking on the basement door.  (Happy to have removed it; yesterday one of my co-workers was unnerved by a pantry infestation of moths and brought one in in a pill bottle, wondering what it could be.  She called a local exterminator who told her what they were and how to deal with it -- a fix that did not require the exterminator's services.  That put Gold Seal Pest Control squarely on my good list.)

8 comments:

Bob said...

What's the apple called, Roberta? I always like to try new varieties.

Roberta X said...

I can't remember! --I'll find out; I want to get some more. It was really amazing.

JohnMXL said...

Panty infestation or pantry infestation?

One is totally TMI...

JohnMXL said...

Never mind...apparently my eyes are having technical difficulties this morning.

The Old Man said...

John, my screen said the same thing. Must be getting old or wish fulfillment.....

fillyjonk said...

Indian Meal Moths? That what your co-worker had? Nasty buggers - my department had them (they came in on rat chow) and I know my parents battled them during a back-to-the-land phase when they were grinding their own flour from grain.

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing the apple in question very well may be "Honeygold"

Roberta X said...

Nope -- an Aurora Golden Gala.