Sunday, September 28, 2014

In Praise Of Sunday

     I think Sundays are a darned good idea.  A day to think about things you might not otherwise think about?  Brilliant!  A Sabbath to keep seems wise; maybe you don't use Sunday  -- Sautrday Saturday, variously defined, is a popular choice -- but settin' a day aside to not follow the usual routine is good idea even if you're as tone-deaf to religion as I am.

     Tam's "Sabbath" is the political chat shows and Inside Indiana Business, providing a level and slant of punditry (as opposed to raw news) she doesn't get the other six days -- and it keeps her blood pressure up, too.  For me growing up, my family had a nice breakfast, church, a huge big fairly formal "Sunday Dinner" lunch, games and/or outdoor play in the afternoon and no TV (other than Dad's sports) until the very light, leftover-based supper, most unusually served on TV trays, watching the Wonderful World of Disney (tm) or the like.  Other people, other observances, but it's a step off the track of the other days, especially the five work days.

     Me, well, I'm workin' this Sunday, just like last week but with slightly better hours.  This posting is canned, automated.  So you go have a good Sunday for me; I'll have one some other time.

8 comments:

Carteach said...

Hope you have a 'sunday' day in your near future. I call it recharge day. Rest, relax, recover.... even if I need to be militant in guarding it.

Anonymous said...

I'll take Sunday. I try to have as little to do with Sautre's day as possible.

Kerry

Dave In Indiana said...

The only bad thing about Sundays is the day that follows them.

Sigman said...

That sounds like my Sundays growing up in rural East TN. Uncle Walt was preceded by Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom with Marlon Perkins and Jim Fowler and later Stan Brock. I miss both those shows. I've always been surprised the Disney Channel doesn't air The Wonderful World Of Disney reruns. I think it'd still be very popular.

Old NFO said...

+1 on Dave... sigh One difference, being a career military type, we got used to a seven day work week, especially on deployment. Kinda lose track of what day it actually was... About the only thing one kept track of was the number of days remaining on deployment.

Sigman said...

Your Sundays of yore sound much like mine growing up in rural East TN. Uncle Walt was preceded by Wild Kingdom. I've always wondered why Disney Channel doesn't rerun The Wonderful of Disney. I think it would still be popular.

Ken said...

Wild Kingdom and The Wonderful World of Disney in Northeast Ohio, back when.

LCB said...

What Ken said, only in South West Ohier.

Dinner after church was a big thing for us too...until my dad died. Then none of us (me, my mom and two brat..uh...brothers) didn't have the heart to carry on. I was 20...

If only I had known how good the good time were when I was living them. But we never do, do we???