Sunday, March 03, 2013

My Friends Are Loony

     It's 28 degrees out there and not predicted to get a whole lot warmer.  So -- of course --Shootin' Buddy has invited Tam to the 2013 Opening Day today at Eagle Creek Park Pistol & Archery Range, our nice city-owned outdoor shooting range.

     I ain't a-goin'.  It's 28 degrees out there and not predicted to get a whole lot warmer.  Now the genuinely tacti-kewl amongst my readership may look askance at this plan, but see, I'm an old maid; if the temperature drops below 40, I wear gloves (gloves thin enough to shoot in, unless I am driving or have to motorscooter).  If I am set upon by wintertime malefactors, it will all be over before I have time to notice the cold.  Conversely and among the less-likely of scenarios, if I find myself in the midst of a winter war, I'm not gonna make it; I'll do my best to make it count but my path probably doesn't lead all the way through.

     I'm okay with that.  If I have to go freeze my freezable self, I will, but as long as it's optional?  Nope.  I don't do the biathalon and I don't hunt polar bears (they hunt right back!).  Next weekend will be warmer and rainy, a good combination for visiting the outdoor range (the firing line has a roof!),

15 comments:

Dave H said...

I understand how you feel. But my available shooting time is limited, so I have to take advantage of what I can get, when I can get it.

Around here shooting in the cold isn't as bad as shooting during the spring thaw. My outdoor rifle range needs a sump pump bad. Several times I've nearly left a boot behind when going out to hang a target.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I use to shoot every weekend, either a pistol match or practice.

Now if its below 50 I'm not going. I think all this sweet tea has thin my blood.

And keep your ball off my yard!

Gerry

Frank W. James said...

Yeap, I'm another Fair Weather shooter and I admit it...

All The Best,
Frank W. James

Anonymous said...

I don' t get a chance to shoot very often anymore. When I do have the opportunity, I normally have eighteen other things to do. The only public range locally is trying to clean up its reputation, but has a long way to go before I'll go back to it.

Robert Fowler said...

Winter training is good for the soul. So is a range trip in pouring rain. Our range doesn't have a roof so you get the full effect. One thing they taught us in the Corps, the enemy won't wait for good weather.

NAVIGATOR said...

ROBERTA !

HERE I THOUGHT YOU WERE MADE OF STERNER STUFF! AFTER ALL YOU WORK ON A STARSHIP! A SLIGHT DROP ON THE FAHRENHEIT SCALE IS NOTHING TO YOUR INTREPID SELF THINK WARM THOUGHTS LIKE THE SHACKLETON EXPEDITION IN ANTARCTICA OF THE FINNISH -SOVIET WINTER WAR JUST FOR YOU TO SET THE RIGHT MOOD AS TO BIATHLON TRY CROSS COUNTRY SKIING WITH A FULL PACK ON YOUR BACK AND AN M-1917 ENFIELD AND DOING TARGET SHOOTING WITH .30-06?
IT WAS FUN THE OLYMPIC SHOOTERS NOW
HAVE ULTRA LITE GEAR AND OMIT THE PACK AND ITS .22 SHORT BUT SERIOUSLY YOU SHOULD TRY IT!
ENJOY!

og said...

I would hunt anything that would hunt me back. But i'd prefer a big hog or a cape to a polar bear, just for the temperature.

Though I do know a guy with a snow cat.

Able said...

"I'm an old maid"

I beg to disagree!

Old NFO said...

LOL, don't blame you a bit Roberta!

Roberta X said...

Able, baby, I'm unmarried and over 30. It counts. (Also, great excuse.)

Roberta X said...

Seriously, I stop being able to feel my fingers pretty early on, and if I'm gonna do that, somebody better pay me more than $30/hour for it, or it'd better be a matter of life and/or death. The cold-weather nosebleeds only add to the fun.

NAVIGATOR said...

"SPINSTER LADY" AS YOU ARE A NEO VICTORIAN

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

The boy was down today but we decided discretion was the better part of valor and simply went to drool on the gun cases at Hill of Geese.

Gewehr98 said...

You're a smart lady, at $1.00/round for rifle ammo, and $0.50/round for pistol. Box of 550rds .22LR for $80.00? Forget it. Hen's teeth are more common than reloading components around these parts. Sorry, Steel Challenge, not this year! :-(

BGMiller said...

Can't fault you at all dear lady.

Thanks to a brief encounter with some olive/canola oil blend that had just reached it's smoking point a few years back my hands don't much care for the cold anymore.

BGM