Tuesday, February 03, 2009

I'm Late! I'm Late!

...Or will be, if I don't type fast. Woke up in plenty of time but took an extra ten to snuggle with the smallest cat, now 18 and still only half-grown; she settled on the quilt and purred solidly the netire time. Then stumbled around making breakfast (Cream'O'Wheat instead of the usual oatmeal and a sliced orange, just 'cos) and wandered over to SnarkyBytes, where Alan has vids of a Fordson screwmaran snowtractor. (Which is a spellcheck trifecta, btw). Go see it!

Me, I am for the shower. It's snowing again, a nice slippery coating over the patches of ice left from our earlier snowfall and if I don't get a move on, I'll have to remember how to drive on that stuff.

7 comments:

alan said...

I knew you would know a screwmaran when you saw it!

I bet you could use one in Indy right now.

George said...

Now that was a cool machine. I especially liked the low ground pressure advantage. (There's probably a technical term that only engineers know.)

Seems to be more efficient that the traditional "snow mobile" ... even if the first commercially successful snow mobiles came from the Great White North.

It's also kinda steampunk-ey looking ... if you look at it in the right way.

Regards.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. A couple of surplus 300-gallon droptanks, the Zed 3, some odds-n-ends, and you would be in business.

Roberta X said...

Oh, yeah! I'm in! --Might have to ask Tam about it.

Anonymous said...

Naw.

Surprise her.

Loose Gravel said...

That is just fabulous beyond compare! Hmmm... the riding mower, couple of plastic drums, and some duct tape oughta do it... might even be amphibious. George is right, though, on the steampunk bit. It needs a boiler and stack, and perhaps wrought iron screw guards. Allen Quartermain should have had one.

And yeah, maybe you ought to at least mention it to Tam before you start on the Beemer conversion... no more high-centering short of the garage, though.

Anonymous said...

Workable idea * dangerous for all concerned * guy in hat = curiously awesome. I'd build one just for the sake of taking it to work. Hehe.

Jim