Thursday, February 25, 2010

Gun In Parks

[CUE overly-dramatic fanfare: da-da-daaa!] Indy [Red] Star soiling its drawers again; plus, Not Understanding The Process.

Yes, the Star's panicking itself again over an ordinance that would allow persons with a License To Carry Handgun to do so in city parks without risking a fine. (And that's all it is, a fine. What's your life worth? At least a thousand bucks?)

Our timid former-Marine Mayor has pinky-sworn he'll veto such an awful, awful thing if it comes to his desk -- heavens forfend an honest citizen should be able to defend him or herself from attacks in the parks; Mayor Ballard would much rather see me raped and strangled on the Monon trail than carrying an icky-poo ol' gun. Makes me wanna throw up. I used to like the guy, too. He must seriously want to be a one-term Mayor.

But let's ask the Experts about armed self-defense: David Mason, of Hoosiers Concerned About Gun Violence* tells us, "There's no crisis in our community that requires people to be carrying guns in parks." Oh, really? David's another guy who thinks it's a lot more moral for you to get whacked in the face with a 2x4, beaten and robbed by "underprivileged youths" than have even a slight chance to say "NO" and back it up. You first, pal.

The best line, though, goes to Republican Councilwoman Susie Day, who airily tells us of this ordinance, "You can't just say, 'Here's a proposal.'" Funny, I thought that was how the City-County Council was supposed to function...

This ordinance was proposed by Councilman Ed Coleman, the only Libertarian on the Council; I do believe a lot of the office-holder reaction is more about wanting to show him who's boss than any concern for the issues. Certainly all sides are willing to throw you under the bus without a chance to defend yourself, and would happily add Ed.

The measure comes up for a hearing tonight at the City-County building. A public hearing. Better speak up!
________________________________
* Because "Hoosier Bedwetters" was already taken.

6 comments:

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

David Mason sounds like one of those guys who, later in life, will be saying something pithy like, "A CCW holder is a Bradyite who's been mugged in the park by a thug who was carrying an illegal gun."

Tam said...

But... but... but... Ballard's a Republican! He's our friend! How could he veto this?

Divemedic said...

Reading the linked articles about the attacks in the park just made me realize that what would really help is a law prohibiting a person from attacking someone else, or perhaps a law prohibiting anyone from being in the park in groups of less than three people.

This law would help because criminals attack people who are alone.

The Rich Wasp said...

It's this kind of thing that reminds me why I moved out of Marion County. I don't own a gun, and I think permit holders should be able to carry in parks. Especially the Monon trail.

Anonymous said...

If I lived there I would carry even without a permit. My 2nd says I can.

See Ya

red said...

reading those comments (on Indy$tar) made my head hurt.


If these people think the parks are so safe now, they should talk to my friend that was abducted from the Monon. Or my ex-roommates who were robbed at gun point.