Thursday, April 15, 2010

Big Doings, Tall Tales

...that's the plan of action at the Skunk Works for today: I'm going to get to ascend to one of my favorite high places, take up position on an antenna balcony and...(wait for it...!)...solder wires! Yayy, hooray!

Luckily, it's a smallish MS connector, with, like, six wires total. Those things are no fun at all in the largest sizes (try 85 pins in a nice, dense grid. Bring your lunch). Unluckily, there's a certain amount of reverse-engineering involved, and we're not sure if the old connectors were pumped full of RTV for weatherproofing.

Still, I'm bringin' my camera. The view's awesome.

7 comments:

Turk Turon said...

Be careful up there. I hope there's no wind.

Tam said...

Better you than me.

Roberta X said...

T.K.'s synthetic diamonds?

Anonymous said...

"Hey, all the people down there look like ants."

"Roberta, those ARE ants. Now get up that tower!"

Hang on tight, Bobbi. Don't forget your safety harness (and parachute).

Shootin' Buddy

Anonymous said...

The crimped-pin connectors are more small parts to deal with, but I find they're much easier to maintain.

Jim

Alan said...

Sometimes I miss climbing towers, the view is amazing.

Then I remember the wind and the cold and the bugs and having to pee when you're hanging on a strap at 1000 feet.

And then I don't miss it at all.

Anonymous said...

looking forward to some pics