Saturday, April 05, 2008

BI-SI-CKL-ING

Yes! Today's the first day in a long while that we've had the weather and I've had the time -- fired up the bicycle: two wheels, human-powered, farthest-from-the-pavement seat of any vehicle I own 'cos a way lot of me is leg an' legs gotta have room t'work! (Seriously, my bike is green and silver -- yes, Squeaky, lime-green -- and has the biggest wheels on the largest women's frame made. This keeps my knees from endangering my chin and allows me to not exceed the handlebar and seat-post height limit, which I had to on my old one).

And work my legs did.

...Up to a blistering 13.5 em-pee-aitch on the nicely-paved Monon Trail. First ride of the year (and the second, too, after lunch. Even met and petted a little playful longhaired tiger cat named Sophie at 61st St.), the front wheel's all wobbly, et-excuses-cetera.

Still, I got out and rode. Makes me feel all healthful an' virtuous and better yet, it does seem to get the circulation going.

Motorcycling tomorrow!

11 comments:

Bonnie said...

GREEEN! Pixplskthx.

I just have to figure out a good route for the morning-time in my neighborhood, and I'm all set. :-)

Anonymous said...

I've been riding my bike off and on for about a month now. The winter layoff on getting exercise is very apparent -- I can't do the range I could last summer. As an extra bonus, I did the flying over the handlebars trick Friday. Which was far less traumatic than when I lost it on the Nighthawk years ago.

Don't have a motorcycle any more. Sigh.

Sevesteen said...

Why a woman's frame--Do you bicycle in a dress? I'm guessing that an average men's frame would suit you better.

Roberta X said...

Yes, I occasionally wear a skirt. Why shouldn't I be able to ride my bike then, too?

Plus, while vulnerabilities differ, fallin' on the crossbar is no fun nohow. Other than vey lightweight bikes or very heavy riders, I do not know why the male of the species tolerates it. The female is not required to and this female has no intention of so doing! :)

Roberta X said...

PS: My inseam's 36". This is rather a lot even for the "average men's frame."

Tam said...

"Why a woman's frame--"

Because she is so girly. :p

Roberta X said...

Oh! You are soooooo not borrowing my tactikewt black lace hair ribbon! You'll just have to make do with camo instead.

So there!

;)

Anonymous said...

Long Legs?? Long legs are good!!

Being a guy, I never did understand why men's bikes have that crossbar...just made for causing pain.

Sendarius said...

Joseph, the reason that bar is there is simple: rigidity (the cycle's!)

It seems that when the power output goes beyond a certain point the frame flexes if that bar isn't there. Flexing the frame absorbs power, and makes you go slower.

Mind you, the last time I hit that bar, no power on Earth could have made me walk for about an hour.

Roberta X said...

And there one has the human condition an a, er. nutshell: "You can go fast, but only at some risk of pain..."

Srsly, the crossbar is needed on a street bike if you'll be jumping curbs, etc. Ditto for the challenging x-treme spots stuff now done with a bike.

Me, I am not quite so aggressive. My bike was a gift from my ex and there was some discussion at the time; I'd had various used bicycles, mostly men's frame's 'cos of the strengh issue and I wanted something with a more-upright riding posture and, not too put too fine a point on it, girlier.

Roberta X said...

PS: There was a bit of contention here at Roseholme in re length of leg. I stand corrected: the measurement I gave above as "inseam" is the distance to the floor. I buy my jeans shorter, not caring to trip over the cuffs.