Thursday, April 24, 2008

Book Meme

Blame Squeaky.

The secondary terminal marked G of the transformer is connected to the grid of the first amplifying tube. The other secondary terminal marked F- is connected to the negative three-volt terminal of the "C" battery, so as to operate the tube on the steepest part of its characteristic curve as well as to conserve "B" battery. Note: The correct value of bias voltage for a particular tube is usually furnished by the manufacturer.

--George E. Sterling, The Radio Manual, second ed., 1929
A perfectly delightful book, by the way, chock-full of photos and drawings, with chapters for every phase of the radio art as it was known at the time.

Meme rules:
  1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. No cheating!
  2. Find page 123.
  3. Find the first five sentences.
  4. Post the next three sentences.
  5. Tag five people.

Okay, the next five bloggers who read this? Consider yourself tagged. Honor system. Leave a reply (with link or URL) to keep count.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll consider myself tagged. And what ever happened to the Fry's trip with Tam? The world wonders...

Alan said...

Since we're on the honor system and all, I'll play.

Anonymous said...

OK. I'll play. My post will appear at BTB tomorrow.

M

CCW said...


Here ya go
. Funny and ridiculous at the same time, like watching O’Reilly I guess.

Anonymous said...

What the hey, I only have 5 readers per day (and 3 of those are non-English speaking persons looking for who-knows-what) but I'll give it a shot.

BobG said...

I seem to remember that book; I think I studied it back in the early sixties when I was first messing with electronics, and we had to use tubes to build stuff.