Saturday, September 13, 2014

Four From Spain

     Tam's latest tests had me digging into my mostly-Star collection of Spanish-made handguns to come up with a short-barrelled .45.  If my Star PD didn't need a new buffer, that would have been the best choice, since it's a scaled-down 1911 in appearance (lockwork is quite different, though largely Browning-inspired).  But between that and her decision to add +P loadings to the test, my choice was clear: Star's rugged little "Firestar."

     The entire Firestar series is overbuilt and heavy for their size, by no means a "purse gun" but pleasant to shoot.  Since I had the case out, here's the lineup:
     That's a 9 mm Firestar Plus with a double-stack magazine that creates a boxy and (unusually for Star, who generally had good ergonomics) awkward grip, followed by the much nicer .45  Firestar and the sleek 9 mm version.  For a little balance, an Astra A-75 in .45, a lovely piece of '70s Deco that runs like a champ.  They are my newest Spanish-made guns except for the polymer-frame Ultrastar, a clever Glockier-than-thou design that was supposed to save the company...but, sadly, didn't.

17 comments:

Drang said...

This being the Internet and, I'm going ask if you have the contact info to get new buffers for the PD.

Mrs. Drang had about decided to get herself one, and the local supply dried up. She got a BKM instead, which is the 9mm the PD was based on.

Bubblehead Les. said...

I seem to recall Col. Cooper giving High Praise to the .45 ACP version of the Firestar.

Anonymous said...

Does a Colt buffer work in a PD? I've never had one apart, so forgive me if this is an obvious "hell no" kind of a question.

Merle

Ambulance Driver said...

Had the Firestar Plus and loved it, but I have big hands.

Wish I had that gun back.

Roberta X said...

I'm not sure, Merle.

...And I am still on the trail of a replacement buffer.

Cincinnatus said...

I have a little Star BM that I like, but it has a bit of an extractor problem that I've not bothered to sort out yet.

Drang said...

Merle: No.

Bobbi: Star PD Recoil Buffers | Northwest Firearms
or
star pd recoil For Sale – Buy star pd recoil Online at GunBroker.com

Bob said...

McThag notes that J&G Sales is offering Star Model B's in 9mm for $320, if you wish to investigate.

Roberta X said...

Very nice, Bob! -- I have a Star Super B, which has all the trimmings (loaded chamber indicator -- in line with the sights! -- Beretta 92-like takedown, a few other touches) and I like it, though I have very little practical use for a full-sized handgun.

D.W.: Excellent. Thank you.

Roberta X said...

Robin, at one time Model BM's were common and inexpensive enough that most problems could be solved by purchasing another one. :) Those days are gone but parts can still be had.

Model BM/BKM notes: Be aware that there's a little hand-fitting to these -- slides and barrels should stay together and lockwork should be very thoroughly checked for function.
The BM's have known issues with firing-pin length -- some few have overly-long pins. It's easy to check: with the back of the pin pressed down flush, the nose shouldn't protrude into the chamber.

Cincinnatus said...

Well, the problem I was "solving" by buying it was that at the time I had a couple of hundred rounds of 9mm and nothing to shoot it in. ;-)

Last I looked Numrich was out of stock on extractor springs which is the likely culprit without disassembly.

And disassembly on that requires removing the rear sight ... so I procrastinate.

Roberta X said...

Tapping out the rear sight isn't too bad -- it's just dovetailed in.

The BM/BKM is still showing up around here, they're just not quite pocket change any more, having moved into the $275 and up bracket.

dehakal said...

Like my .45 Firestar but unable to find magazines.
I have big hands and my Pinky is looking for a home unless I use the extended magazine.

Cincinnatus said...

Ah, Roberta, you are going to shame me into fixing it, aren't you?

;-)

Roberta X said...

Would if I could!

Cincinnatus said...

Ah, you just might be succeeding dear lady.

Anonymous said...

I like my Stars Mod BM & PD. Good info here in case I need it.